Light headed from amoothies!

Options
Has anyone ever got lightheaded from smoothies when first starting them. I notice when I start them I get light headed the first 2 days at least so I stop them. Is it the (detox) or something else.

Thanks

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    If you're only taking in smoothies or juice you're likely to see "keto flu" type effects from the low calorie intake (despite the carbs). Extra salt / potassium / magnesium may help. Your blood pressure is probably reduced by loss of sodium to urine.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options
    No, but I get a buzz from the ones with all fresh vegetables,apples, etc. Have to drink them very slowly.
  • canadacatman
    canadacatman Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I'm not just doing them its breakfast only. Ya I kind of drink mine fast maybe if I slow down the drinking. Thanks
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Detox isn't a thing, so it's definitely not that.

Do you feel lightheaded all the time when you drink the smoothies for breakfast, or is it only when/right after you drink them?
  • canadacatman
    Options
    Just when drink them about 20 minutes later I'm fine.
  • godlikepoetyes
    godlikepoetyes Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    They may be spiking your blood sugar. I don't know what you're putting in them, but some people load them up with fruit which can give you a sugar rush. Are you putting anything sweetened in them?
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Smoothies? Are the ones you're drinking some special kind? Mine have greek yogurt, a bunch of fruit, juice or coconut water, and sometimes a handful of spinach. The smoothies I'm familiar with are just regular food. Are yours different?

Also... there is no such thing as 'detox' - at least not when it comes to your diet. Detoxing is just a label the weight loss industry has applied to sell products.
  • canadacatman
    Options
    Mine is 1/2 cup Greek yogurt, flax seeds, spinach, almonds, 1/2 banana and 3/4 frozen berries and liquid always water.

Thanks
  • joeysgirl10
    joeysgirl10 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I got migraines and the dr made me stop drinking... however, i was using as meal replacement...
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I'd try a few things to narrow down the problem. Take your blood pressure next time you are light headed. If you can't afford your own machine there are blood pressure testers at the pharmacy.

The next thing to test is your blood sugar but it would be silly to get a blood tester for a single test. If you have a diabetic friend they may offer to do the test for you. Or again, a pharmacy might be willing to demo a blood sugar tester for you.

The third thing I would try is increase the protein and carbs of that breakfast to see if the faint feeling goes away. Like a slice of wheat toast with peanut butter.

If this faint feeling happens at work, alert your co-worker that you have been feeling faint sometimes in the morning. It is no fun fainting for real.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Quit drinking smoothies and just eat real food.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    I wonder if it could just be a mild brain freeze. Frozen fruit can do this if you drink it fast.
    Odd answer, but it could happen.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I wonder if it could just be a mild brain freeze. Frozen fruit can do this if you drink it fast.

I was thinking of this, but got distracted. Maybe my brain froze :D
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,981 Member
    Options

I was thinking of this, but got distracted. Maybe my brain froze :D

I was thinking this as well. OP, have you ever had this problem with other cold drinks or foods?