Desperately need to lose weight (PCOS + insulin resistance)...pls help

Options
rumpel38
rumpel38 Posts: 9 Member
Hi everyone,

This is my first post here.

I am a female ( 38 years, 5ft 6" height, 93 kg). I have had weight issues since a teenager ( when I was diagnosed for Poly cystic ovary syndrome). I have been bullied because of my weight almost all my life. The highest I have ever been is 108 kg. I keep going in circles with my weight. From past year, my weight has been fluctuating between 92kg to 98 kg.

I am a vegetarian, and have to confess that I struggle with food. Either I starve myself or after a month of starving, I say to myself...to hell with all this and then eat anything. I have been to a dietician few times...but the sample meal plan is just that....a sample, I quickly get bored of eating the same options and I struggle to find vegetarian recipes that would be fit for eating as per dietician...hence, it hasn't really worked so far.

I go to the gym 4 times in a week (3 body pump classes and a Pilate reformer/ yoga class). Mostly I starve myself....I am now at the point where the body image issues are affecting every aspect of my life. My weight is constantly messing up my head. One part of me just wants to give up....but I just would be a very sad person then.

I have always been fat and for once in my life want to feel and look good.
I am looking for some support and guidance here. I am also thinking of getting "the lean body program" by Belinda Benn. Any recommendation for that would be great too.

Thank you.

Replies

• Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Wanted to pop in and say Welcome, glad you're here :smiley:

I'm sorry you're struggling.. :/
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    Feel free to PM me. I also have PCOS and am always down to chat and talk stuff out.
  • amyn73
    amyn73 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Hello! I am sorry you are struggling. I think what happens when we struggle with weight is that we get a sense of desperation or apathy because nothing ever seems to change. The main difficult of changing any behavior is that it takes time. If you're like me, that's a real bummer because I like to see change right away. You seem to have issues with how you see yourself and how you eat and those are two separate things. Eating healthy is not impossible but when you throw in body issues, it becomes more complicated. Perhaps you need to see a counselor to see why you starve yourself and why you feel the way you do? Sometimes a few good counseling sessions can get you in the right frame of mind for the rest of your journey. Just a suggestion! Good luck with everything. This is a great place for support and encouragement.
  • rumpel38
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your kind words. I plan to start logging everything I eat and continue with my gym 3-4 times a week. I have also read through the sticky messages and they are of great help. I to be honest, I am very frustrated with my inability to shift any weight but I also realise that being depressed doesn't help in this situation. I have to keep trying. I am not really sure what would help me but at the moment just not giving up is what I have to aim for.
  • FitToLead
    FitToLead Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Good luck. I think dropping weight is super hard on vegetarian diet, especially if you have PCOS which is very susceptible to hormone changes impacted by carbohydrates which intake of which is necessarily higher on vego diet. I wish you well
  • michellemiler
    michellemiler Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    hi rumpel.
    although getting smart for the people like us not an easy task but I'll suggest you not to go against your nature,it will bother you soon and you will be exhausted. there are a number of products in market for weight management try the best one out of them, I am using "beyond weight management tea", it is really working, you can also find something for you.
  • sbw23
    sbw23 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS too. My dr just started me on two meds as well. You can do this.
  • Zaysgrandma
    Zaysgrandma Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi Rumel38, Sorry to hear of your health issues and struggle with weight. There are always going to be struggles and issues we have some the same or some different. The wonderful thing on here is the support and its a new way of doing things. I have been on here a bit over a month. I find that by doing the journaling and tracking of what I am eating so very helpful. It really puts it into perspective if you are truly honest and track all that you are eating. Let your past trials of losing and gaining weight be behind you. Think of this as a new beginning. Instead of thinking its so much harder because you have health issues or are vegetarian, maybe try change your thinking to my health will be so much better when I have started to lose weight. Also, you are vegetarian so there are great benefits to your health because you don't eat meat. Also, please exam why you are resistant to what the dietician is offering you for advice. Instead of thinking it as she/he doesn't know what they are talking about, change your thinking to : their advice will save your life and health, they are a wonderful source of support and advice. That is their forte. Listen and truly try and take their wisdom to benefit yourself. Starving yourself, then gorging is so unhealthy and may be why your body is fighting against you in your weight loss journey. Think of yourself as successful. Put good thoughts in your head. (Don't listen to old thoughts ex.) I have always been fat) instead, think this is a great opportunity to reverse my ill health and become the person I really want to be. You can do it!!!! Believe in yourself.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    FitToLead wrote: »
    Good luck. I think dropping weight is super hard on vegetarian diet, especially if you have PCOS which is very susceptible to hormone changes impacted by carbohydrates which intake of which is necessarily higher on vego diet. I wish you well

I disagree, going vegetarian has been the best thing that ever happened to me. Meat is super calorie dense.
  • rumpel38
    Options
    Thanks again everyone for the encouragement and support. I am on metformin (for PCOS) from many years now. You are right Zaysgrandma, I need to fill my mind with more positive thoughts.
    As, I said before, I am concentrating on keeping my regular workouts and watching my food at the moment. Honestly, after posting here and reading supportive messages has definitely helped me a lot. I think I needed this more that ever before smile:
  • cobarlo14
    cobarlo14 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am also IR& have PCOS. I have lost it on my own & added 75% of it back. In an effort to eliminate white processed sugar. I purchased coconut sugar pure & unrefined. Has anyone ever tried it?
  • cobarlo14
    cobarlo14 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Small changes and stay hydrated! #yougotthis
  • tryett
    tryett Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I also have pcos, never been in meds except fertility drugs to get pregnant. I do best watching my carbs which I imagine would be much more difficult as a vegetarian. I also have real problem with my vitamin d levels, if your Dr has not checked it I would have that done. Low vitamin d can create real problems.