A bit older than some, would love to have some peeps

Options
bherm3
bherm3 Posts: 2 Member
I am 60 and looking to reboot my entire lifestyle. I'm working out at home with basic equipment. I find that being a bit older means it takes longer to see results than back in my gym rat days. Be great to join a few others who know they are in for the long haul.

Replies

• Barbs2222
    Barbs2222 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I'm 55 and the weight loss is going very slowly. I was comfortable with it though. I'm down to the last 5 pounds so now I'm getting a bit frustrated. Even .3 of a pound a week feels good. And if you look at my diary, yeah, I know I should quit drinking :wink: Feel free to friend me if you want. I don't always log my food though because I have to guess so often.
  • irondude359
    irondude359 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hello looking for new friends
  • bherm3
    bherm3 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,
    I appreciate your responses and offers of friendship. But, this is embarrasing, I don't know how the "friend" thing works on fitness pal. I'll have to check that out. My best to each of you. Have a great Sunday.
    Thanks,
    Barbara
  • joann
    joann Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    If you click on the persons name and instead of sending message click on the name again it will direct you to add as friend...which I did .....
  • lmkadams
    lmkadams Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am 60 and have been "dieting" all my life but am having a lot of self control problems lately. Hoping connecting to others will help.
  • DavesGoal185
    DavesGoal185 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I am 52, and I would love some friends closer to my age. Please add me(that goes for any of you). I promise you will see me here just about ever day.
  • lisabridwell
    lisabridwell Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'll be 51 soon and am starting a new plan. Unfortunately, I'm heavier and less active than ever due to dealing with a recent death in the family and a broken ankle that I'm still recovering from. I'm hoping I can lose it and change my lifestyle for good this time! Can use all the support I can get!
  • gadawg96rx
    gadawg96rx Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm 45 and am finding it is so much harder to lose than it was in my 30s. Have gained entirely too much but am looking for motivation and encouragement from those who have made it work! Good luck to us all!!
  • sandit60
    sandit60 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am a 61 year old female with no children but a husband and kitties (10 to be exact) :) I started Myfitness Pal with a goal of between 1,300-1,400 calories per day. I weight 278 and my doc wants me down to at least 200 by January. My triglycerides were high at 305 and my cholesterol was 244. Not a good thing so she said to lose weight and it would naturally come on down. Plus, no more candy bars and ice-cream for me. It's so easy to get in a rut..come home from work, eat dinner fast and then eat candy bars and/or ice-cream as a snack. NUTS!

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I'm 53 and started with mfp in January. My first week, I made no change other than logging everything. My first month, I adjusted my eating plan to reduce sodium intake, increase protein intake, and reduce use of the free junk food at work. By the end of the 3rd month I had experienced 3 binge days, each with 8-12 following days of losing the sodium load and excess water of those binges. I had also realized that each binge day started with an inadequate breakfast. So, for the past 5 weeks I've started every day with a good big breakfast and have had no trouble with food temptation since. I started with 112 lb to lose, and as of this morning have lost 46 of those. My average daily weight loss is about 0.4 lb.

I eat small portions of beef and pork during weekdays, pre-packaged frozen salmon one weekday, and natural chicken on weekends. The natural chicken is not injected with saline solution and costs a lot more than salty chicken, and thus I limit it to weekends. My breakfast is a fajita using a high fiber low carb tortilla wrapped around a mixture of natural turkey sauteed with celery, onion, mushrooms, and served with salsa and a bit of cheese or avocado for fat. My workday lunch is really sparse and I don't recommend it to anyone.

I do my own cooking. I also cook separate meals for Mrs when she's awake and sometimes for the grown kids. The grown kids are mostly able to feed themselves. Now if I could just get them to support themselves.
  • JeffS435
    JeffS435 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I will be 49 in less than a month. It also takes long to recover from hard workouts. At least in the beginning
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,202 Member
    Options
    I'm 53 and started with mfp in January. My first week, I made no change other than logging everything. My first month, I adjusted my eating plan to reduce sodium intake, increase protein intake, and reduce use of the free junk food at work. By the end of the 3rd month I had experienced 3 binge days, each with 8-12 following days of losing the sodium load and excess water of those binges. I had also realized that each binge day started with an inadequate breakfast. So, for the past 5 weeks I've started every day with a good big breakfast and have had no trouble with food temptation since. I started with 112 lb to lose, and as of this morning have lost 46 of those. My average daily weight loss is about 0.4 lb.

I eat small portions of beef and pork during weekdays, pre-packaged frozen salmon one weekday, and natural chicken on weekends. The natural chicken is not injected with saline solution and costs a lot more than salty chicken, and thus I limit it to weekends. My breakfast is a fajita using a high fiber low carb tortilla wrapped around a mixture of natural turkey sauteed with celery, onion, mushrooms, and served with salsa and a bit of cheese or avocado for fat. My workday lunch is really sparse and I don't recommend it to anyone.

I do my own cooking. I also cook separate meals for Mrs when she's awake and sometimes for the grown kids. The grown kids are mostly able to feed themselves. Now if I could just get them to support themselves.

The bolded part is brilliant - that's the way to do it. Diary analysis, and changing up habits based on what one learns from it, is a super-powerful tool that all too many people don't take advantage of.

One kind is the analysis you suggest ("why did I eat over goal?" - could be diet or composition of eating, as you suggest, or stress, or lack of sleep.) Another kind I did was to look at which foods contributed relatively more calories, but relatively less fullness, nutrition or pleasure. Gradually, I replaced the "not worth their calories" foods with ones that better met my needs.

Back on topic: I'm 60, 5'5", hypothyroid, of course menopausal, quite active, SW 183 (mid-April 2015), hit the low 120s in January 2016, and am now working on maintaining at about 120 plus or minus 3. I'm also ovo-lacto vegetarian (since 1974! ;) ), if that matters to anyone.
  • connorsd1
    connorsd1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm 57 and lost weight with mfp two years ago then stopped logging. Wasn't using the buddy system then. Need to dro 30 this summer. Woo hoo.
  • TickleAnn
    TickleAnn Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I'm 52 and have been up and down with my weight. I suspect everyone's familiar with THAT. I also survived a cancer scare and feel great now, but the whole mess left me at a higher weight than I'd like. I'm in a wonderful fitness challenge group but I suspect I'm the oldest one there by about a decade! I'd love to connect with some or all of you! :) Please send friend requests. I hate being pushy so I'm a little shy about sending them myself. I know it's silly.
  • liveson
    liveson Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi all, just turned 60, dramas behind me, on with the rest of my life. I know what to do just gonna kick my self Up The A - take responsibility for myself and JUST DO IT! Would love to hear your helpful motivations. Mind over matter is my issue. I spent too much time thinking about others. I weigh in today at 82.4 kgs Goal is 60 kgs
  • BiggDaddy58
    BiggDaddy58 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Anyone wishes..feel free to add me as a Friend as well. I am 57 and found this website and it has really helped with tracking calories. I started my own diet and exercise program on March 1st after weighing in at 308# on Feb 29th. My weigh in day is tomorrow, but last week..I tipped the scales at 265.8 Being older, we can all use support buddies. I wish you success on your journey!
  • 1Rune
    1Rune Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I'm older & wiser fatter too, looking to lose it and get it back together again - slowly getting my diet plan together, although it's the exercise that has always made the biggest difference for me. Wishing all of us luck and perseverance!