Polar heart rate monitor-help?

Options
I purchased a Polar FS1 heart rate monitor. I can't see how I can track my calories burned. Is there a way to convert heart rate to calories burned? Or do I need to return this thing??

Replies

• kayleeblue
    kayleeblue Posts: 273
    Options
    Just keep pushing buttons,,,it's on there. I have the FT4 and you can watch your cals or your heart rate. just have to play around with it for a while.
  • Jennical
    Jennical Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I recently bought Sigma PC9 Heart Rate Monitor and I am also at a loss. It's been sitting there for three weeks now.... I guess I'll play with it tomorrow, see what happens....
  • QueenHanifa
    QueenHanifa Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I was told nothing lower than a polar 4 tracks calories burned..I have a polar4 and love it :)
  • pinkita
    pinkita Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Try looking for the user manual on Google. I have a Polar FT4 and on mine you keep pressing the button on the lower-right of the watch face until you see the calories you're burning.
  • Kjlloyd1
    Kjlloyd1 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I think I need a 4 or higher then I guess. Does your 4 let you wear it all day and tell you how many calories burned all day?
  • dimplz1965
    dimplz1965 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I finally bought the Polar FT7 and I love it! I too read somewhere that calories burned only show starting with a certain Polar HRM, don't recall which one, but the 4 sounds right.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    The Polar FS1 is a very basic monitor that only tracks heart rate. In order to get a calorie burn you need to the FT4 or higher.. hopefully you can return the one you bought and get the FT4.

You're also not supposed to wear an HRM all day.. It's not made to count count calories while your at rest, only when you're heart rate is elevated.

I have the FT7 myself and absolutely love it. So easy to use and set up.

Also heres a link about HRM's:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472
  • davekaplan
    davekaplan Posts: 14
    Options
    There's an article on Livestrong.com about how to do the math, but it looks like kind of a pain:
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/463258-how-to-find-how-many-calories-you-burn-at-different-heart-rates/

The FA20 (around $120) is a Training Computer, it doesn't have a heart rate monitor, but you can wear it all the time and track calories burned. There's a video on here: http://www.polarusa.com/us-en/products/improve_fitness/fitness_crosstraining/FA20

I just got the FT7 too, used it once and also love it. I upgraded because the Polar HRM I had didn't have calories burned.

The FT7 and the RS100 both track calories burned, heart rate, ect. for around $110. With the FT7 and a FlowLink you can upload your data to free web service Polar has and track your stats.

Returning or exchanging is worth trying, but I noticed on my FT7 package, purchased at the Sports Authority, there's a sticker that says, "STOP... Due to the personal nature of this product only unopened packages may be returned to the place of purchase...." Definitely worth a try though.
  • kylielouttit
    kylielouttit Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I recently bought Sigma PC9 Heart Rate Monitor and I am also at a loss. It's been sitting there for three weeks now.... I guess I'll play with it tomorrow, see what happens....

I had a Sigma, it was a peice of poo. Mine was a PC15 and constantly lost it's signal. Drove me nuts so I switched to a Polar FT4 and it's awsome. Sigma's customer service also sucked.

I hope you have better luck with your Sigma than I did with mine.