Spinach problems?

Options
ivallena23
ivallena23 Posts: 10 Member
TMI warning!

Has anyone had issues with constipation when they started to add more veggies and fruit to their diet? I make a morning smoothie/slushie with spinach, kale, and a fruit mix. I'm drinking about the same amount of water as normal and added broth soups to my weekday meal plan. I finally had to break down and drink several cups of smooth move tea. Anyone have advice?

Replies

• rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Spinach helps me move it move it move it! I can't imagine it causing constipation!
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Anything else you ate? Is your diary open?
    Did you drink a red bull or high caff drink? (those mess with me).
    Did you eat a high flour or deep fried food? Steak yesterday?
    When I eat fruits and veggies, I sometimes go 2 times a day - easily.
    Did you use a "fake powder" kale and spinach mix?
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    I find that if I'm too low on fat intake that it causes issues ( I drink plenty of water)
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    marm1962 wrote: »
    I find that if I'm too low on fat intake that it causes issues ( I drink plenty of water)

Ditto - too little fat will back me up every time.
  • ivallena23
    Options
    Anything else you ate? Is your diary open?
    Did you drink a red bull or high caff drink? (those mess with me).
    Did you eat a high flour or deep fried food? Steak yesterday?
    When I eat fruits and veggies, I sometimes go 2 times a day - easily.
    Did you use a "fake powder" kale and spinach mix?

No I tried to meal prep to make the mornings easier. (Not a morning person). I bought two bunches of kale, one bunch spinach, and one avacado and put them all in the blender and froze the liquid in a muffin tin and use one of the pucks per smoothie. So it's real stuff. But I wonder if freezing it messed with it
  • ivallena23
    Options
    marm1962 wrote: »

Maybe that's part of it. I understand fat is not bad and we need it but in my food choices I might not be eating enough fats by accident
  • pie_eyes
    pie_eyes Posts: 12,964 Member
    Options
    I heard if you go overboard with high fiber it can block you up

Also if you're putting stems of the kale into the smoothie, I heard that will block you up because there's a *kitten* ton of fiber in the stems
  • pdxwine
    pdxwine Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Fiber can be our friend or our foe. I, too, find that making sure to get some fat in my diet helps.

My habits changed, once I started eating more fruit and vegetables. I no longer have the " oh I need to find a bathroom now" moments. ;)