Have to have my gall bladder removed

Replies

• dwatson925
    dwatson925 Posts: 143 Member
    I had to have mine removed laparoscopically in 2005 when I was 30 weeks pregnant with my youngest son. The doctors were worried that the surgery would cause me to go into labor, but it was one of those things that was going to put us both in danger if they didn't remove it immediately. I had to stay in the hospital for several days after surgery to monitor me and the baby, (we were both fine

Thanks
  • dwatson925
    Second day of recovery. Think I over did it in both activity and eating.
  • Nikki31104
    Nikki31104 Posts: 816 Member
    I had mine removed a year ago. The pain from the surgery wasn't too bad. However I had intense pain in my right shoulder. When they do the surgery they pump you full of gas so they can get in there easier. The pain that the gas caused was pretty bad. I was also EXHAUSTED for the first 2 weeks. I would take a shower and have to take a nap. It was awful. I wasn't completely back to normal for a good month. I don't regret it AT ALL. And as far as watching what I eat...the only thing I can't eat is McDonald's French fries. They go right through me. And I don't need them anyway.
  • JenniferSchaffer1
    JenniferSchaffer1 Posts: 69 Member
    I had mine taken out after losing 150 pounds it was very painful I was useless for about two weeks. It was more pain then my three c-sections that I had.
  • C1C2C3
    C1C2C3 Posts: 119 Member
    dwatson925 wrote: »
    Second day of recovery. Think I over did it in both activity and eating.

I hope today is a better day for you as recover. When I had my gallbladder out (laparoscopic), almost immediately I felt so much better than I had prior to the surgery, but it took probably about 5-6 days to feel "normal". On the second and third day, I would move around for a bit then rest for awhile...sort of built up the amount of time I could be out of bed without feeling like I was going to keel over from pain and exhaustion. My stomach was super sore, couldn't move unless clutching a pillow to my stomach for support. I think the exhaustion was more due to being put under for the surgery than the pain itself...I slept the entire rest of the day following my surgery and only drank a small amount of broth. On the second and third day, I ate very light...more broth, applesauce, tea, etc. Before the surgery, my diet had been very restricted because of the 24/7 discomfort and pain, so I didn't want to just plunge right in to eating regular since my stomach wasn't used to that anymore. I had surgery on a Thursday and went back to work on Monday; I had to go in late or leave early though for a couple days because I was just so exhausted!

As far as skipping the gym on your doctor's recommendation, that is probably a good idea! You want your incisions to heal well. I did not have the energy to exercise, but I was eating so little during my recovery, that maintaining my weight wasn't an issue. But if you are able to eat more and want to keep active, perhaps you could try walking?

For me, the surgery was 110% worth it!! Still had to work through some digestive issues, but the gallbladder surgery made such a huge difference; I felt human again! :smile: Best wishes on your speedy and healthy recovery!
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Bestwishes on your surgery and get well soon! :)
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    edited May 2016
    Just lost 45 lbs now have to have surgery. Doctor says I'll have to take a break from the gym. Anyone else have that challenge?
    I had a TAH Surgery 2.5 weeks ago so I'm still not allowed to do anything other than walking or lifting more than 15 pounds for another 4 weeks. I thought only being allowed to walk was going to kill me since I was used to doing HIIT workouts and heavy lifting every day before my surgery. But so far it hasn't been bad at all. Although, all this walking has caused my weight to go down past what I like to maintain. I'm actually going to try and go into the gym today and see what I can do with 15 lbs only. Best wishes to you for a speedy recovery. :)
  • Naptownbabi
    Naptownbabi Posts: 256 Member
    I just posted that Surgery was in my near future, Ive been suffering for the past 6 years with at least 5 attacks a month and this last one had me in the hospital for meds. I am super nervous. It looks like its been about 2/3 weeks how is the healing going?
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    No gall bladder but 6 shoulder operations over 5 years. Restricted activity, didn't gain weight.

Just back off on intake. Best of luck
  • godlikepoetyes
    godlikepoetyes Posts: 442 Member
    I had my gallbladder removed (lap) last July. I am still recovering. I have a very sensitive system (IBS) and my gallbladder, per surgeon, appeared "diseased." It is not a simple surgery; you will have a raw place on your liver for a long time. I've talked to several friends who had terrible times with recovery. However, I talked with friends who've had few issues. Like everything else, it depends on the person. My husband had to have his removed the old-fashioned way--he has a large scar down his midsection. That was an ordeal. I do not say these things to be an alarmist; I just want you to know that not everyone has an easy time. I hope your surgery goes well and your recovery is swift.
  • meglet2202
    meglet2202 Posts: 35 Member
    My daughter had her gallbladder out last fall, 14 years old! She's doing great. One thing we found that sounds woo, but for some reason actually works are "ox bile salts" that I found on Amazon. I read pages and pages of reviews and they were all positive so she tried them after her recovery and they really helped. Nothing really bothers her anymore, but once in a while a food (like French fries) will cause her pain and the ox bile salts help with that.

Good luck!
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    My gall bladder went out on me at the age of 66 when I was on vacation a thousand miles from home. I checked into a hospital and four days later, had it out (I was on blood thinners so most of this time was done doing tests and trying to get my clotting factor up. They did laparoscopic surgery, and a day later I was driving back home. Worst side effect was being so swelled up with water from all the IVs I had that I had to wear huge sweatpants for a week (they found me "big boy pants" in the hospital lost and found that I wore out of the hospital -- fortunately there was a Target Superstore across from the hospital). Very little pain or discomfort after.

Follow your doctors' recommendations regarding exercise. There's no way you're going to be lifting weights right away, and the negative results of pushing things too hard could be a real nightmare. I can eat anything now including fats with no ill effects -- but people do differ in their post-surgery responses.
  • looney9708
    looney9708 Posts: 174 Member
    Has anyone with gallbladder issues had problems losing weight or maintaining weight loss?
  • duffydog1
    duffydog1 Posts: 76 Member
    I had mine removed three years ago this October.Your recovery depends on the op - If they can remove it by keyhole ( lap) you will be sore for a few days and more or less great after 2 weeks. If you need open surgery, which is usually if your gall bladder is really diseased and too fragile for keyhole, it takes 6 weeks.

What I can't stress strongly enough is how careful you need to be with what you eat until you adjust. If you search the forums ( don't though - I did and it's just scare mongering) you will read about people with lifelong diarrhea and digestion problems after surgery. But when you ask what they're eating you get the answer as to why. Start off low / no fat and then add it back in gradually. If you react - stop and go back to very low fat. Also, if you eat a high fibre breakfast this helps a lot, Bran flakes with skim milk for example, or low fat low sugar granola if you just can't stand the bran flakes!

For a while I was so relieved to be able to eat without pain I was happy to put up with the nasty side effects just to have some chocolate / cheese etc - stuff I hadn't been able to eat for 3 years! But I soon got fed up. Now 2.5 years on, I wouldn't be able to have a 4 cheese pizza for example - it would make me ill, but then I don't really eat that stuff anyway. Most other things I can eat in moderation without any problem. I have never been able to drink coffee since the op and at first I missed it, but now I have swopped to green tea all is fine. Good luck to you and don't worry!
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    edited June 2016
    Had mine removed with only 3 little holes in my abdomen. First couple of weeks needed to be near a bathroom in a reasonable amount of time (i.e. don't be somewhere you can't get to one in just a few minutes LOL) Rode a 150 mile bike event 4 weeks later :) I had very little issue with it.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    My husband did - and he's a tai chi instructor. It was a challenge. It did hurt when he got back into exercising. But he healed beautifully with no lasting negative effects. Get back into it slowly as the scar tissue stretches and watch your fat intake.
  • mysticwryter
    mysticwryter Posts: 111 Member
    Depending on how they remove it. if the do an endoscopic (3 small areas with instruments) the recover period should be shorter if they were to open you up. Good luck to you!
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    I had no problems with the surgery. Make sure you are aware of the diet issues, you'll be much better if you do. I was foolish and tried to eat my way through the problem. That was stupid.
  • dwatson925
    Still have abdominal pain a few weeks after surgery but otherwise doing okay
  • twinkles2121
    twinkles2121 Posts: 137 Member
    Still have abdominal pain a few weeks after surgery but otherwise doing okay

I can't speak for the others, but I had 'phantom pains' where my gallbladder was for several months after. Hopefully yours goes a bit smoother ;)