Why am I suddenly GAINING weight?

Options
I have been on a diet and exercise plan for 4 months, and have lost a significant amount of weight. There have been plateaus before, but they always end after a few days and then I start losing weight again. My weight loss has been slow and steady, not in sudden spurts.

All of a sudden, I have started gaining weight: 3 pounds over 5 days even though I have stuck to my diet and exercise plan. This has undone the progress I made over a 2 week period. Any ideas on why this is happening and how to reverse it?

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh yourself everyday? Are you close to your goal weight? Have you adjusted your calorie intake to reflect your lower weight? As you weigh less you need less calories.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Are you using a food scale for all your solids and measuring cups for all your liquids ?

My weight will jump up by 8lbs sometimes. Because of Water retention from salty foods, bloating and so on .

If your sure that you've done everything right , I would try changing the batteries in your scale and wait it out. Weight loss isn't linear and can be frustrating
  • emmycantbemeeko
    emmycantbemeeko Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    It's hard to say but it's very possible that a rapid 3 lb gain is all about water retention/actual food content in your body. Unless you've absolutely gorged for the last five days, it's not likely that it's all fat gain.

If you were very large to begin with or were on a very restrictive regimen, your initial rate of loss may have been steep enough to counterbalance the normal fluctuations in weight we all experience, so you didn't perceive them. As you approach your goal weight, and particularly if you haven't adjusted your deficit to account for your smaller size and BMR, your rate of loss will slow and things like water retention and food volume in your GI tract can obscure fat loss in the short term.

A program like trendweight can help you see through the noise of daily weigh ins to track your actual progress.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    How is your sodium intake? Water retention can mask a lot of weight loss.
  • monica_823
    monica_823 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    From experience, it takes about a year for your muscle memory to get used and remember your new found body.

The LokaTrain app has an "online diet and workout" section and you can direct message the trainers on the app if you need help or have questions! Try it; it helped me get that expert feedback!