Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Supplements/Fat burners

trvshm
trvshm Posts: 79 Member
Any actual long term studies out there on potential health concerns? Obviously asid from those containing caffeine.

Thinking of take a little something to help push me along.

Replies

• trvshm
    *aside.....I hate typos
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Fat burners and weight loss supplements contain ingredients that are generally regarded as safe. Unfortunately, supplement companies have a history of "spiking" their products. This means they use ingredients that are known health risks. These spiked ingredients are what make the products effective, but they are also what cause serious health issues. The ingredients that are spiked will not be listed on the label. Anything else that is not spiked will have no impact on fat loss.
  • trvshm
    Maybe I'll just stick with teas and B vitamins
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    trvshm wrote: »
    Maybe I'll just stick with teas and B vitamins

That will be your best bet. You have to have diet in check to lose weight no matter what. Pills give people a false sense of security. It's sort of frustrating to see people lose weight and give credit to a pill when they earned that all on their own.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    One of the reasons I eat healthy and exercise is to avoid the need to pollute my body with pills so I'd rather just die the old fashioned way without pills.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    I weighed 3lb more, consistently, whenever I quit caffeine. Not sure what that translates to in calories burned, probably only 10 or something. But definitely there is an effect. I like to stay on some caffeine daily because I have fewer migraines, but do appreciate the minimal increase in calorie burn.

Other stimulants are less safe, you will get an appetite suppressant effect with any stimulant, but it's definitely not healthy to do speed and not eat, and faster isn't better with weight loss, it just makes you burn muscle. You can only lose fat as fast as your body can process it.
  • trvshm
    Thanks for the replies....
  • Italiana_xx79
    Italiana_xx79 Posts: 588 Member
    I used to use Hydroxycut and other big name brand supplements and though they did help just a little with appetite suppressant, I always felt so, so horrible. I was either nauseous, had bad headaches, couldn't think straight or shaking. It definitely wasn't worth it at all! Eating healthy, and mostly all natural foods have made me feel so much better with natural energy. :smiley:
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    I used Hydroxycut, back when it actually worked, and I felt like I was going to die every time I took it. Since taking that, caffeine doesn't affect me. Now, I'll take supplements with green tea and other non-stimulant appetite suppressants in the morning.