16:8 intermittent fasting

Options
Has anyone tried or considered this?
I have decided to give it a try along side controlling my calories.

I'm going for an 8 hour eating period followed by a 16 hour fast.

I find controlling calories quite difficult, due to meals out etc... Hopefully the 16:8 approach will help!

Replies

• MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    One easier thing that I'm trying to do:
    A 12 hour fast.
    I eat dinner and then fast for 12 hours and eat when I wake up.
    For me, this really and truly works.
    Mostly because anything I ate after dinner was garbage.
  • mealtracker
    mealtracker Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I tried the 16:8 approach. For me, it wasn't effective because I couldn't maintain it. The "window" I set was from 2pm to 10pm. It left me hungry, only hang on for a week. Than binged... Back on track now.
    Personally when cutting calories, its best for me to not starve myself. I stick to veggies and leans meats (low in calories and good in nutritional values). Many restaurants have a small "healthy option" section in their menus.
  • DVall30
    DVall30 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I've been doing it for 3 months on and off. The first couple of days is the hardest. I work overnight so its easier for me since i can hardly eat at night. My window is 3-11 when i eat and during the fasting hours i drink plenty of water. In total i lost about 25 lbs and my goal is to lose about 20 more.

Its not for everybody and if u can manage to ignore the hunger go for it but its not a magic routine just another calorie deficit
  • williammuney
    williammuney Posts: 2,895 Member
    Options
    I love it but I'm a gluten for punishment
  • mathiseasy
    mathiseasy Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I am doing it right now, my window is 11am-7pm. I started with 12-8 but my natural eating pattern started a bit earlier. I am finding that even though I am creating a calorie deficit, mentally I feel like I am less calorie-restricting and more eating-time-restricting. Losing weight has always been a mind game for me, so IF is a way for me to beat the mind game.
  • williammuney
    williammuney Posts: 2,895 Member
    Options
    mathiseasy wrote: »
    I am doing it right now, my window is 11am-7pm. I started with 12-8 but my natural eating pattern started a bit earlier. I am finding that even though I am creating a calorie deficit, mentally I feel like I am less calorie-restricting and more eating-time-restricting. Losing weight has always been a mind game for me, so IF is a way for me to beat the mind game.

I agree it's all mental
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Yeah, you really get a sense of freedom once you hit your window. Awesome feeling.
  • catsdogsh
    catsdogsh Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I need to get this straight. So you could restrict eating for 16 hours you don't eat. Then 8 hours you can eat. Do you stick to the calories allotted for those 8 hours? I'm thinking that might work for me. Sometimes I skip eating for 24 hours because my metabolic issues are so bad I have to do ridiculous things to lose.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    catsdogsh wrote: »
    I need to get this straight. So you could restrict eating for 16 hours you don't eat. Then 8 hours you can eat. Do you stick to the calories allotted for those 8 hours? I'm thinking that might work for me. Sometimes I skip eating for 24 hours because my metabolic issues are so bad I have to do ridiculous things to lose.
    Yes. :) Daily calories within a certain time period.
    Here is a group for Intermittent Fasting: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/49-intermittent-fasting
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    It's just a late breakfast and no snacks after dinner...nothing crazy.
  • meryoum
    meryoum Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I started around a week ago and so far WOW. I obviously stay within my appropriate caloric allowance which is 1500 and I have been doing a 10am-5pm eating window because I hate the feeling of a full stomach before bed. It works REALLY well for people that may have a snacking problem like I do. Try it and stick to it!
  • trishvb11
    trishvb11 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I just started today. I know the day is not over yet but so far so good. I did get a little snappy with my kids right before the allowed time to eat but I wasn't too bad. I have drank so much water, and am glad I am doing it because I was NOT getting enough. So I did have a question. Do I need to worry about the amount of calories I am taking in, just as long as it is healthy calories. I have been eating a lot of salad and hard boiled eggs. Then I will have a small amount of cheese and lean meat to got with it. Thank you in advance!
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    trishvb11 wrote: »
    I just started today. I know the day is not over yet but so far so good. I did get a little snappy with my kids right before the allowed time to eat but I wasn't too bad. I have drank so much water, and am glad I am doing it because I was NOT getting enough. So I did have a question. Do I need to worry about the amount of calories I am taking in, just as long as it is healthy calories. I have been eating a lot of salad and hard boiled eggs. Then I will have a small amount of cheese and lean meat to got with it. Thank you in advance!

Calories are all that matter for weight loss. "Healthy" foods are a nicety but won't create fat loss.