Protein powder?

Options
aLatz13
aLatz13 Posts: 60 Member
I've recently started running in the morning before work and have been making smoothies to take in as my breakfast. I've thought about adding protein powder because you're supposed to eat a high-protein post-workout snack. Any recommendations for a good protein powder to throw in to my smoothies? I'm not looking to bulk up or anything, just trying to prevent myself from getting so hungry an hour later!

Replies

• olag00
    olag00 Posts: 222
    Options
    You could try Optimum Nutrition 100% whey, it comes in various flavors and use the strawberry.
  • Jade1964
    Jade1964 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I use Body Fortress - 100% Premium Whey Protein - Vanilla - I get it at Wal-Mart. Going to try the chocolate next.
  • Jade1964
    Jade1964 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I use Body Fortress - 100% Premium Whey Protein - Vanilla - I get it at Wal-Mart. Going to try the chocolate next.
  • alleyag
    alleyag Posts: 142
    Options
    Depends really on what you want to spend and your taste buds. Personally Costco sells a brand really cheap and huge bag that is easily amiable low carb low fat and low sugar. Mostly protein. It's cytosport whey. If no Costco by you. Go to your local tnx and ask for optimum nutrition whey protein. Variety of flavors perfect macro breakdown. and taste is good. Cost is low. Make sure your including a carb after you run if there fruit or milk in your smoothed that's perfect.1 scoop is 25 g protein which will ne perfect serving size.
  • Akerman
    Akerman Posts: 16
    Options
    Protein is protein for the most part. One brand is not really any better then the other, useless you start getting into casein protein which is a slower releasing protein that is usually taken later at night to help you while you sleep.
    Since your not worried about that it just comes down to flavor and taste....which is a personal choice. There all good.
    Protein is important post-workout but don't forget the carbs which are just as or more important post-workout then your protein. Simple carbs are needed immediately.
  • Melissajojo3
    Melissajojo3 Posts: 100
    Options
    does any one in here know if I can add mik to my protien drink mix? It's Herballife protien drink mix and I am wondering If I can make it into a shake with milk and strawberries?
  • alleyag
    alleyag Posts: 142
    Options
    Protein is protein for the most part. One brand is not really any better then the other, useless you start getting into casein protein which is a slower releasing protein that is usually taken later at night to help you while you sleep.
    Since your not worried about that it just comes down to flavor and taste....which is a personal choice. There all good.
    Protein is important post-workout but don't forget the carbs which are just as or more important post-workout then your protein. Simple carbs are needed immediately.

Not tryin to bash just educate. Whey protein has many different forms. Isolate, concentrate, ion exchange, micro filtered isolates, Most people remember hydrolyzed proteins were all the rage a few years ago, then dropped off sharply. "Hydrolyzed" basically means the protein has been 'broken down' partially into peptides of different lengths.
    Because the protein is already partially 'broken down' it is absorbed faster, which may have positive effects under certain circumstances, such certain metabolic conditions (i.e., burn victims or people with certain digestive disorders and pre-term infants).

Generally most powders on the market provide whey in these different ways. And it can make a difference. Please always do your research about what your putting into your body.
  • olag00
    olag00 Posts: 222
    Options
    does any one in here know if I can add mik to my protien drink mix? It's Herballife protien drink mix and I am wondering If I can make it into a shake with milk and strawberries?

Yes you can mix them with milk if you have the calories to spare!
  • Melissajojo3
    Melissajojo3 Posts: 100
    Options

Yes you can mix them with milk if you have the calories to spare!

Thank you soo much for answering :) I will be doing that then :)
  • bunchofobriens
    bunchofobriens Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've just started using Body by Vi shakes as a meal replacement and have had excellent success in my first 2 weeks! The all natural protein shakes have more than enough nutrients for the day and only count at 170 calories each. 2 of those shakes + 2 100-150 calorie snacks + a sensible dinner + myfitnesspal.com to track my calorie intake + moderate exercise = happy and thinner me! I'm down 6 pounds in 2 weeks and I fee great!
  • JoshuaHansford
    Options
    Intek Evolution has the best nutritional profile and the best taste of any protein powder I've found.

One 40 gram scoop = 160 cal, 2 carb, 1 fat, 34 protein.

No other powder even comes close to that. But, the best part is that it tastes amazing. I used to have to mix my protein with milk so I could choke it down and even then it was often clumpy. With Intek I just mix with water b/c it tastes so awesome and it mixes well without the clumps.

Good luck finding it, though. I got it at Complete Nutrition which is the only place Ive seen it. Its not as cheap as Wal-Mart proteins but is comparable to ON and other GNC type brands. The nutritional profile blows all those proteins out of the water though.