Working out a lot eating little

Options
And still not loosing weight. I have lost 9 pounds in a month but now I am not loosing any and working out 11/2 hours a day. Eating about 500 calories. What the heck.

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    And still not loosing weight. I have lost 9 pounds in a month but now I am not loosing any and working out 11/2 hours a day. Eating about 500 calories. What the heck.

Please speak with your doctor about your eating disordered behavior. 500 calories is way too few, and working out 1 1/2 hours per day is too much.

What are your stats? How much are you trying to lose?
  • AliceAxe
    AliceAxe Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    are you very short and petite? have you had your thyroid checked? I would suggest you see your doctor and a good nutritionist.
  • Becboo86
    Becboo86 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I would suggest you don't go by calories.... Are you getting enough nutrition? There are many things that stand in the way of weight loss, but if you think of it more about giving your body what it needs to be healthy and function at its optimal, then you will automatically become the best healthiest shape for you.

If you aren't eating the most nutrient dense foods to fuel your body then you will not lose weight and be healthy. In MHO you are putting too much stress on your body by working out too much and eating too little. This causes certain hormones to release in an effort to protect your body from "famine" and stresses and by doing this you aren't allowing your body to absorb the few nutrients you're consuming, and each time you stress your body by over exercising you are making it harder and harder for yourself.

Your body is smart and if you fuel it the way it is meant to be fueled, and move it often (not stressful, slogging it at the gym stuff), and get enough quality rest, your super smart body will transform into the way it is designed to be..... Lean, strong and healthy.

Our bodies are designed to be like candles, burn brightly until the end. ;) It's for the most part through poor choices that we end up with certain health problems. Our body is complex, but health is NOT complicated.

I am not a nutritionist, but have learnt what I know from one. I suggest you talk to one. :smiley: Good Luck.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Why on earth are you eating so little? You're asking your body to do way more with way less. No bueno.

Goal should be to eat as MANY cals as you can while still losing - aka, a small calorie deficit, not a huge one. You're setting yourself up to crash and burn and enter the vicious cycle of yo-yo dieting, and regaining what you've lost and more.

Eat good foods and in the proper amounts. Be kind to your body - exercise, drink water, and eat to fuel it, not starve it. Get good sleep, and take rest days. Be in it for life, not some crazy quick fix that ain't gonna last.
  • donetteneal
    donetteneal Posts: 2 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Thanks for your input. I am a professional in the healthcare field. No dummy. I know starvation mode is a myth and that while your dieting your metabolism can and will slow down. There is nothing wrong with my eating habits. And if I decide to eat the bagel we have at a work meeting I will. Concept is simple. Burn more than you intake and you will loose. I am not a big person I'm 5'8" and I like to be at 125-130. I was 149 and had gotten down to 140 but seem to be staying at 143 for the last week. I know I will go down in weight it just stinks that I am working extra hard on exercising hoping for it to come off a little earlier than norm. Last year I reached my weight after about 5 months but I didnt exercise so this time was hoping for faster results.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    If you're a health-care professional and belive that at 5'8 your good eating 500 and exercising, i hope you aren't treating anyone. Get help.

Ditto.

Seriously, OP, reevaluate what you're doing. It's not healthy. And no, not because of "starvation mode," which interestingly seems to be the only post you paid attention to, but because you are not giving your body adequate nutrition for its basic functions.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    If you're a health-care professional and belive that at 5'8 your good eating 500 and exercising, i hope you aren't treating anyone. Get help.

^^^ So much this!
  • jwcanfield
    jwcanfield Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    1. You aren't overweight. 2. As a healthcare professional you should know that your intake isn't healthy. 3. I gather that you didn't care for the input based on your rebuttal - but were you surprised at the comments? We all know that you want faster results - so do I. You mentioned that you had lost 9 lbs at first. How long have you been on your program of 500 calories per day with 10.5 hours of exercise weekly and how long have you been on your plateau?
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Double post.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Don't know which is more worrying, a 5'8" person eating only 500 cals or being a health care professional and still doing that to themselves.
    "Physician heal thyself" springs to mind.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Dear Posters,

I wanted to offer a brief explanation for the locking of this thread.

The forum guidelines include this item:

3. No Promotion of Unsafe Weight-Loss Techniques or Eating Disorders

a) Posts intended to promote potentially unsafe or controversial weight loss products or procedures, including non-medically prescribed supplements or MLM products will be removed without warning.
    b) Profiles, groups, messages, posts, or wall comments that encourage anorexia, bulimia, or very low calorie diets of any kind will be removed, and may be grounds for account deletion. This includes positive references to ana/mia, purging, or self-starving. Our goal is to provide users with the tools to achieve their weight management goals at a steady, sustainable rate. Use of the site to promote, glamorize, or achieve dangerously low levels of eating is not permitted.
    c) Photos intended to glamorize extreme thinness will be deleted.
    d) Those seeking support in their recovery from eating disorders are welcome at MyFitnessPal.

MyFitnessPal strongly recommends that anyone suffering from the symptoms of Anorexia Nervosa, Bulimia, or Compulsive eating make use of the resources offered by the National Association of Anorexia Nervosa and Associated Disorders. You may reach the ANAD hotline by phone in the US: 847-831-3438 (Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm, Central Time) or on the web at http://www.anad.org/site/anadweb/

If you would like to review the forum guidelines, please visit the following link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

At our discretion, this locked thread may be deleted entirely in the near future.

Thanks for your understanding,

MyFitnessPal Moderator

psuLemon
This discussion has been closed.