Which HRM and Why?

Options
Seanb_us
Seanb_us Posts: 322 Member
Hi,

Several times I have seen posters recommend an HRM. I assume this is a "heart rate monitor."

Most of the ellipticals and treadmills at the gym have these -- I assume they are not really accurate? Although, I am adept at taking my own pulse and the machines aren't far off.

So, what is a good HRM and what does it do for you?

Cheers,

Sean

Replies

• sbrown6
    sbrown6 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I'd like to get one so I can more accurately track burned calories. I'm looking for suggestions for a moderately priced one. 50-75 bucks is what I have to spend.

Thanks MFPers!
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    the HRM uses a lot more personal information about you that the exercise machine doesnt get so you get a better estimate. ITs also connected to you with usualy a chest strap so you get a more accurate reading of heart rate. I compare mine to what the machine says and I see differences of 30-40%, which is a huge difference if you are using those calories to log for exercise
    I have a Polar Ft7 I have used and I love it, very easy to use and config and not that expensive, probably around $90
  • mom111997
    mom111997 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I posted an article about this earlier...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/272883-10-exercise-myths-hrm-users-beware

Hope it helps!!
  • kristy_estes21
    kristy_estes21 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4 and love it so far. I like it because it takes my constant heart rate and I don't have to stop to check it or grab a hold of the sensors on a machine at the gym.

I got it for $53 on Amazon. It was on sale, but even before the sale it was only $70.
  • Hopeinanguish
    Hopeinanguish Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    The best HRMs are the ones that require your age, height, sex, and body weight to determine not only your heart rate, but also what is truly a healthy range for you to be in. In my opinion, the best HRMs have a comfortable sensor that you can put over your heart while you are working out so they require zero effort from you to be accurate. I highly recommend Polar HRMs...unfortunately, like most things, you do get what you're paying for. Generally the best ones that accomplish all of the above well are hovering right around $100.
  • ilovecreg120809
    ilovecreg120809 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I got the Polar FT4 for around $65 on amazon :) I think its great and a lot of people have recommended it to me. You will love it! I know I do and I just got mine yesterday
  • dcw10
    dcw10 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Polar F6 . got it for about 62.49 on amazon !
    HRM are way more accurate that the one on machines .If you like to keep track of your cal. and other numbers its the best way to go .
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Read this link.. It's very helpful when choosing an HRM.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472

I'm also not a big fan of Timex. I had one of their cheaper HRM's and the calorie burn was through the roof for the exercise I did. So I returned that HRM and bought a Polar FT7. I really like the FT7, it's very easy to use and set up. It also tracks 99 workouts and gives you the option of uploading your data to your computer.
  • Seanb_us
    Seanb_us Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! Great stuff and a good start. Cheers.
  • sbrown6
    sbrown6 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    MFPers are the best! Thanks for all of your posts. So helpful.
  • rrsuthy
    rrsuthy Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I have a cheapie Sportsline that I got from WalMart. It takes accurate HRM, but is not even close on the calorie expenditure. The Heart rate has to be monitored via a button that you have to push and hold. So, it's inconvienent, but it works and it was cheap ($30).
  • slim_photographer
    slim_photographer Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I tried to read everyone's replies and I think this was not covered.
    Besides helping you calculate calories burned you can use it as a coach. I used to exercise 2-3 times a week and I would be exhausted.
    So I started paying attention to the so called 'fat burning zone'. I didn't think it was a effective thing for me to follow. Man was I wrong! I only burn a few less calories but I'm able to workout much more often. 5 times a week.
    Your heart will get more efficient as get fit so don't worry about trying to break any records or build endurance at first. I had to get rid of my desire to be faster or stronger every week and I'm concentrating on burning some energy on regular basis.
    Another thing HRM will take in consideration for you us resting HR. Your burning zone will be relative to this and everyone has a different resting rate.
    + If you are into logging all this staff you may get a HRM that sends the info to some kind database.I have polar f6 and it has a kinda rudimentary way of do that but it does it,
  • audigal2008
    audigal2008 Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4 and love it so far. I like it because it takes my constant heart rate and I don't have to stop to check it or grab a hold of the sensors on a machine at the gym.

I got it for $53 on Amazon. It was on sale, but even before the sale it was only $70.
    I bought the same one yesterday! BUT It was $140! arg! This thing better work! lol
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options

I bought the same one yesterday! BUT It was $140! arg! This thing better work! lol

140? That sounds like the FT40 and not the FT4.. even on the Polar website, the FT4 doesn't retail that high.