Free beginner's yoga from home?

Options
cecsav1
cecsav1 Posts: 714 Member
edited May 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
I'm interested in starting a yoga routine, mainly for stress relief purposes. I tried one class at my old gym (hated it), and my new gym doesn't offer it. I'm hoping to find a resource or two to incorporate at home for free. I'm thinking maybe YouTube or something similar, but I need a specific recommendation for some kind of course or class that I can use for 10 - 15 minutes daily to *learn* from. Consider me a total beginner. Yoga for this dummy, if you will. :)

Replies

• harperlm1976
    harperlm1976 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've just gone on YouTube and typed in what I wanted- beginner yoga, 20 minute yoga. I set it up on my laptop and it's like a private class at home. Having said that I haven't done it in awhile so thanks for the reminder
  • cecsav1
    Options
    I've tried that, but there are so many options, I don't want to choose the "wrong" one. I was hoping someone had a particular yoga teacher, yoga class, video, whatever that they've had experience with and could recommend.
  • neela1880
    neela1880 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I've seen people mention yoga with Adriane a lot, you should check her out. She does beginners yoga aswell
  • ssakcik
    ssakcik Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I did yoga many years ago (pre child) and wanted to get back into it... I started yoga again last summer using Yoga with Adriene on YouTube. Can't recommend her enough... She has absolutely tons of uploads and there's plenty of beginner classes on her channel, plus she has some short foundations of yoga classes where she goes through different poses in detail.
  • eriksen_ken
    eriksen_ken Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    P90x. XYoga
  • Toronto6fan
    Toronto6fan Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I rented a bunch of yoga dvds from the library and tried them out.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    Wii has a yoga on it. Simple and suitable for beginners.
  • cecsav1
    Options
    meritage4 wrote: »
    Wii has a yoga on it. Simple and suitable for beginners.

We have an XBox... lol but no Wii
  • bryonysimmo
    bryonysimmo Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I love Yoga with Adriene on YouTube. She has beginner videos and videos that break down all the poses so you can make sure you are doing them correctly. She also has some 30 day programmes which I find good because you can do a different routine every day!
  • williammuney
    williammuney Posts: 2,895 Member
    Options
    Get the book "light on yoga" by bks iyengar
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    daily yoga app. free and good.
  • aliciamariaq
    aliciamariaq Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Fitstar yoga app. Pretty basic moves, good videos.
  • vegangela_
    vegangela_ Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Yoga with Adrienne is the easiest to follow I've found.
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Adrienne on YouTube. I started out doing Yoga Camp and liked it.
  • MSJourneylog
    MSJourneylog Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Adriene, hand's down. She's great, super relatable and just all around a normal person. Look for Yoga Poses For Beginners - Where To Start? then Yoga for Beginners. Where to start is just her talking, you'll see what I mean by relatable. Beginners would start off so easy... sitting down, legs crossed and breathing. Teaches you about posture and reminds you just when you start to slip.

Namaste and best of luck!
  • karahm78
    karahm78 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Gaiam Yoga Studio app is WONDERFUL and totally worth $3. Not exactly free but pretty darn close.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Leslie Fightmaster yoga is very good
  • kritlyn
    kritlyn Posts: 2 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    This is the best yoga for a beginners. Alan Finger is a well known yoga instructor. He has been teaching yoga his whole life. The instructions are the best you'll ever find. Yoga Zone: Conditioning and Stress Relief
    http://www.amazon.com/Yoga-Zone-Conditioning-Release-Beginners/dp/B00006G8HD