Getting fit again with/after cancer

Options
cardus20
cardus20 Posts: 11 Member
I was diagnosed with leukaemia a year ago, and the following months of comfort eating and feeling too ill to move meant I put a lot of weight on and lost all my fitness. While I still have cancer (and always will), I feel ready to start exercising again now, and wondered if anyone else was in a similar situation and wanted a buddy for some mutual support? Even doing something like Couch to 5k seems like a huge challenge for me now as I'm always so exhausted, so it would be great to have someone to motivate me and who I could cheer on in return! :smile:

Replies

• zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Hello ! I just wanted to bump your thread to make it more visible
  • cardus20
    Options
    Thank you! I'm new to the forum (although I've used MFP on and off for years to count calories) and I'm not really sure what I'm doing, so I'm very grateful for your help! Doubt I'm the only one here with cancer but I might be the only one stupid enough to want to exercise with it :wink:
  • chookywillow
    chookywillow Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    hi I had recurring cervical cancer for 10 years in my twenties. I'm 42 now so its a while ago. but I did exercise. started with walking. swimming, horse riding. then exercise dvds. I only did things I enjoyed. I wanted to be fit but was very aware that life is too short not too enjoy every second. running and gyms weren't my thing. though I did run with a friend and was able to do 5k without too much trouble just from the exercise I had been doing. be happy to buddy up and do some mutual motivation.
  • cardus20
    Options
    Sounds like you had a rough time of it, sorry to hear that. I at least managed most of my twenties cancer-free (got diagnosed at 29) so that's something! It's very reassuring to hear that you managed to exercise - I think a lot of my problem is just a mental block as I'm nervous about trying then failing. I keep wanting to start and then I feel too tired - but as I feel tired every day I should just stop feeling sorry for myself and get on with it... Bit of a catch-22 really as I'm sure I'll feel better once I start - did you find that?
  • tracey1911
    tracey1911 Posts: 1 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Hello. I had breast cancer 3 years ago. After treatment I started with the couch to 5k. I put 3st on during treatment and now 3 years on I'm training to do a half marathon. Just start with doing as much as you can a few times a week. It's not easy but so worth the reward also makes you feel like you are personally doing something to try and keep cancer at bay. Xx
  • cardus20
    Options
    Wow, that's amazing that you've been able to improve so much! I've put on about 3st as well, it doesn't seem to want to come off so easily nowadays (I'm sure people are meant to lose weight on chemo, not gain it!!). Well done for making so much progress, hopefully reading success stories like yours will give me the kick up the backside I need :smile: