diagnosis with type 2 diabetes

Options
Corey477
Corey477 Posts: 1 Member
hi there. I just recently been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and looking for support and encouragement in eating healthy.

Replies

• Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Corey477 wrote: »
    hi there. I just recently been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and looking for support and encouragement in eating healthy.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1772-type-2-diabetes-support-group
    Check this group out... lots of info and plenty of great support!

Welcome to MFP! :smiley:
  • Shua89
    Shua89 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Hi Corey,

I was diagnosed in February and decided to tackle it head on. I went completely low carb and started walking 8-10 miles a day (thankfully my job allows for a lot of walking during the day).

When diagnosed my A1C was an 8.2. I just got my 3 months results back and I've brought it down to a 5.2 - which is completely normal, non-diabetic range. I've also lost 35 pounds.

You are faced with a choice and what you choose now will affect your quality of life for the rest of your life. I, sadly, have a friend who refuses to control her Type 2 and eats whatever she wants. She is my age (late 40's) and is now on insulin and it's affecting her kidneys and other organs. She is a big motivator of what I do NOT want to become.

Diabetes IS completely controllable through diet and exercise - many people are able to get off the meds completely by going low carb. I'm not going to kid you though, making such a radical change is hard and you need a good support group around you (my dh is also eating low carb). Just keep reminding yourself every single day (or hour, or minute) that you are doing this for your health and it does eventually get easier.
  • ChefTamiCinNC
    ChefTamiCinNC Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Corey477 welcome to MFP! I hope you get the help you are requesting! Hang in there! It didn't happen overnight and it wont get better overnight! Baby steps! You didn't mention your age/height/weight. If you have some weight to get rid of MFP is awesome at helping you plan your meals so that you can adjust before you eat and keep on track.

Shua89: My A1c was 6.1 last month. (It had been inching up and I ignored it) I go back mid-July for repeat labs and I am praying for a "normal" number. I was a heavy sugared soda drinker. I stopped cold turkey! Did not replace with diet soda. Mostly water, unsweet tea and the very occasional sugar free flavor additive to my water. Just started using the gym at work today and should do that daily M-F and then maybe walk on the weekends. When you say "low carb" was there a number you tried to stay under per meal/snack? Entirely too much info on the internet and would rather talk to someone who has been successful. Thanks! Congrats on your hard work!