I amm stupid

Options
This is my second time at mfp. When I first lost weight I use to exercise and not use to eat my exercise calories. My calorie restriction was 1200. I lost weight and then due to some situation dropped out of my mission. Now, I am back to shed of the remaining pounds. Have set my goal one pound per week which gives me 150 extra calories to eat ! Heaven. However, I don't exercise now. Problem in foot. I log religiously and I use food scale. There is thing in my mind that is constantly putting pressure on me that you can't lose weight without exercise. What should I do this is begging me and wanting me to quit till I don't start doing exercise again. People who have lost weight without exercise please comment. It's my first week of second time.

Replies

• faji2015
    faji2015 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    duddysdad wrote: »
    I lost 155 pounds in 9 months by diet alone.

Congratulations! That is what I needed.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,986 Member
    Options
    I lost about 30 pounds on MFP before I joined a gym. I did walk more during that initial period because the health concerns that motivated me to lose weight--elevated fasting blood sugar, poor HDL to total cholesterol ratio, elevated blood pressure--respond to exercise as well as to weight loss, but I ate ALL my exercise calories back, so as far as the calorie deficit was concerned, the exercise was a wash.

So, yes, you can lose weight just by managing your calories, whether you exercise or not.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Diet alone (creating a deficit) is the only way to lose weight. Exercise is for health. Just as long as you're in a calorie deficit (eat less calories than your body needs to maintain its current weight), you should lose weight. However, if you feel like you want to exercise, try some upper body work like punches, or go swimming.

And, you are not stupid. Don't put yourself down like that.
  • philippakate197
    philippakate197 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I've lost 61lb with almost zero exercise (other than riding my horse which burns very minimal calories). This is also about the zillionth time I've lost weight, and I'm not stupid - so neither are you!!
  • UncaToddly
    UncaToddly Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others and how easy it is for you to lose the weight through diet alone will be a matter of where you are at now. When I started at 387 it was easy to lose weight by diet alone as I started simply eating reasonable portions and not eating constantly during the day with no regard to whatit would do. When you are eating 8,000 to 10,000+ calories a day, losing weight from diet alone is easier to do.

I didn't think I would be able to exercise much due to knee and back pain but as the weight dropped off I had less of it and started walking and now typically walk 3-4 miles each night through the neighborhood. It lets me eat more of the things I like and still stay at a caloric deficit so that is beneficial for me mentally but I CAN lose without exercise, it just means that I have to be more strict on what I eat.

If you are unable to be active right now and exercise, set your status to sedentary and no exercise and see what number it gives you for the rate you want to lose. Once the foot issue is resolved, you can change it back or simply eat back your calories.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Yes you can lose with minimal to no exercise if you are watching your calorie intake.
    There are several seated workouts on you tube. Jessica Smith tv has a couple.
  • megomerrett
    megomerrett Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight by only changing your diet.
    Exercise will speed it up and (depending on what you do) will have a positive effect on you body shape and tone. I also find its better for me mentally to include exercise as it's a positive thing to do.
    You can still exercise without your foot. Suggestions have already been made.
  • xtina315
    xtina315 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I've lost 16 lbs so far with no working out- but I have fell off the bandwagon and trying to get back on it.
  • godlikepoetyes
    godlikepoetyes Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Yep, you don't need to exercise to lose. But there is this--my knee is messed up and I can't do the things I normally do for movement. However, I have discovered Dancing! In a Chair! Standing in Place! I'm doing "air" drums. I feel like a teenager. I have never spent so much time listening to music and rocking out. My mood is good, and my calorie burn is big. So though you can't do walking, jogging, etc., you can dance in your chair. Maybe even bounce!
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    Can you swim?
  • Cyndiaquino
    Cyndiaquino Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I've lost 59.4 lbs in 9 months without exercise.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    I definitely lost without exercise, it's absolutely possible.
  • markswife1992
    markswife1992 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    first, you are NOT stupid. don't put that label on yourself. :smile:

i lost over 40 pounds and got down to goal weight of 123. i was so happy. i had some health issues and scheduled a hysterectomy, then found out a week before surgery that i was pregnant. i lost my baby at 3 months, and had already gained about 25 pounds. a month later, had the hysterectomy, and gained even more. then i started on Seroquel, and gained even more - now i weigh over 190 pounds. up from 123?? talk about feeling stupid!

we can do this together. yes i do exercise when i can, but i do believe that diet (the food we take-in) IS more important than exercise. we can always add exercise to enhance, but food is key.

good luck :smile:
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,931 Member
    Options
    Yep, you don't need to exercise to lose. But there is this--my knee is messed up and I can't do the things I normally do for movement. However, I have discovered Dancing! In a Chair! Standing in Place! I'm doing "air" drums. I feel like a teenager. I have never spent so much time listening to music and rocking out. My mood is good, and my calorie burn is big. So though you can't do walking, jogging, etc., you can dance in your chair. Maybe even bounce!

Great tips!

My brother is a drummer and is always sweating like a pig when he comes in from drumming.
  • faji2015
    faji2015 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the advices. All noted. :) one last question taking care of macros is important?
  • Lucy1752
    Lucy1752 Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I walk, but not miles and miles and not at more than 3 mph.
    Otherwise, no exercise, just calorie deficit.
    Even when I was thin I was not interested in sports or athletics so if losing weight required a lot of physical exercise, I would be sunk.