This can't be right...ice skating

Options
Just for discussion and to see what others think. I use MapMyWalk to measure my exercise amounts and calories burned (it syncs nicely to MFP). Today I went ice skating with my kids. I started my ice skating "workout" right before I got on the ice, paused it anytime I stopped skating and "ended workout" when I got off the ice for good.

MapMyWalk said I skated about 1 hour (which is correct), 0.19 miles and burned 1017 calories. Can that be correct? Yes, I tried this time to skate more than glide, but really, 1017 calories and only 0.19 miles?

I'm female, 5'4" and 210 lbs. Thoughts? Experiences?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Doubtful
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    i don't believe it. I don't think using map my walk on your phone would even be a good option for tracking something like ice skating. We have no idea how high your heart rate was, how much you were exerting yourself, etc.

I'd say most people burn roughly 600-ish calories per hour of vigorous activity (150+ heart rate continuously).
  • jonthemusse
    jonthemusse Posts: 106 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    A typical sized athlete can produce about 0.5 kW - give or take - of steady state power. Add some BMR and and it comes to about that number, yes (600 kcal). 0.5 kWh is an awful lot of power output from something that's basically a watery light bulb.

Skating is vigorous if you make it so, but that's not something that happens without trying very hard. 300 kcal? Max?
  • EdgeGoalie31
    EdgeGoalie31 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    That is not even remotely accurate. I'm an ice hockey goalie and the only device I've found to be near accurate is my Garmin with a heart rate monitor. I log 600-1200 calories per hour depending on how hard my activity is.
  • ericatoday
    ericatoday Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Mapmywalk assumes youre walking not skating skating is a lot faster than walking so it thinks you went super fast burning a lot more than you did and an hour for .19 miles makes no sense.
  • jonthemusse
    jonthemusse Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I log 600-1200 calories per hour depending on how hard my activity is.

Quite impressive. That's like a constant output of close to two hp.

I've been slightly paying attention to the numbers MFP is giving me in activities, and they seem hopeful at best. I did 'gardening' yesterday. Well, three hours of shoveling soil non-stop with a deadline. I wouldn't have wanted to log close to 3000 kcal, and I'm willing to bet most gardening isn't as intense as that.
  • mom2wessarah
    mom2wessarah Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    ericatoday wrote: »
    Mapmywalk assumes you're walking not skating skating is a lot faster than walking so it thinks you went super fast burning a lot more than you did and an hour for .19 miles makes no sense.

Actually you can set MyMyWalk to different activities, ice skating being one of them. I didn't have that ice cream sundae, but felt great that I did a bit of activity and had fun with the kids. Thanks everyone for letting me know I'm a little smart about this.
  • lindsay9898
    lindsay9898 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I used endomondo today for the first time to record my walk into town. I walked an average pace of 3.2mph for 41 mins, I am 4ft10.5 inches, weighed 126lbs before a rather decadent weekend! and it said that I used over 300 cals. Typed the same into mfp and it said something like 130, can't quite remember the number but it sounded faaaaar more realistic but even so it sounds like mfp overestimates calorie burn too so Endomondo must be waaaaaaaay off!!! Worrying for people just gaining knowledge and manage their weight!
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Mapmyrun was confused when I went roller skating, too. I said we skated for an hour, and it classes it with skiing? I don't think the calorie counts are accurate for that, something is off. If it felt about like walking to you, just use the calories you would have burned in the same *time* walking, not the distance.