Sugarfree gum good or bad

Options
So I literally can chew a whole packet of gum to figth off cravings.Even at weird hours.So iam bothered if they are really good for the body(weigth.).I know the components are bad as they can cause tooth decay and erosion .cancer and all the harmful ingredients.But wondering if it's bad for bodyweigth.
Thanks

Replies

• pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    One pack usually equates to 60 calories. Some people log it, some people dont. If you're losing weight not logging it then I wouldn't bother. If you want to log it you can. It's mainly about consistency.
  • Lukdbestucan16
    Lukdbestucan16 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Yup I logg it..
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Fine for people. It kills dogs.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,039 Member
    Options
    How does sugar free gum cause tooth decay?

( I don't think it causes cancer either)
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

Good question, since as far as I have heard, chewing gum is actually good for your teeth as it removes some of the plaque already.
  • Lukdbestucan16
    Options

Yup research says it can cause tooth erosion too.And with aspartame in sugar free gum.aspartsme has been revealed as causing cancer too.you might want to Google.
  • Lukdbestucan16
    Options

Good question, since as far as I have heard, chewing gum is actually good for your teeth as it removes some of the plaque already.

Yup it is.but other studies say it could cause tooth decay..
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    If you feel it's bad for you, don't chew it.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

Yup research says it can cause tooth erosion too.And with aspartame in sugar free gum.aspartsme has been revealed as causing cancer too.you might want to Google.

Aspartame has not been revealed to cause cancer at all. In the slightest.
    So, sorry if I don't believe your other statement either.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

Aspartame has been studied for decades. If you are talking about the studies often cited to demonstrate cancer risks, they used rodents that were already highly susceptible to developing cancer and exposed them to higher doses than most humans would consider appropriate.

A great breakdown of the chemistry can be found here:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1308408/why-aspartame-isnt-scary/p1

Google is fine to find cat gifs, but for anything scientific, try Google Scholar, PubMed, or a College/University database search of peer-reviewed articles.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    Sugar free gum with xylitol has been shown to reduce cavities... but xylitol is also not absorbed well and has laxative properties so use that as incentive not to chew too much at once.
  • sylkates
    sylkates Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    sarahthes wrote: »
    Sugar free gum with xylitol has been shown to reduce cavities... but xylitol is also not absorbed well and has laxative properties so use that as incentive not to chew too much at once.

The only brand that I find consistently has xylitol in it is Trident, and only their mint flavors, for some reason.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Sugar free is better for the teeth. The Extra Dessert Delights line is awesome!
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Everything causes cancer now of days, just breathing cause cancer. **rollingeyes**