Potassium deficit

Options
RredSonja
RredSonja Posts: 307 Member
I find it pretty easy to get my nutritional needs met most days, except for potassium. I've read in various places that it's easy to get enough potassium and people don't need to supplement it it with potassium pills but should I? I know I need to get more vegis in my diet, but I despise lima beans, potatoes don't agree with me, bananas have too much sugar...anyone have any advice?

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    The U.S. does not require potassium on our food labels.
    That is why potassium does not show up in the data base very often.
    Foods with potassium: leafy greens, squash, yogurt, fish, avocados, mushrooms, beans, acorn squash, oranges, potato chips.
    http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/high-potassium-foods-topic-overview
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    Thank you! That was driving me crazy!
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    I find it pretty easy to get my nutritional needs met most days, except for potassium. I've read in various places that it's easy to get enough potassium and people don't need to supplement it it with potassium pills but should I? I know I need to get more vegis in my diet, but I despise lima beans, potatoes don't agree with me, bananas have too much sugar...anyone have any advice?

You should not supplement with potassium without the advice of a doctor, as it's quite harmful, even deadly, in overdose.

Also, as mentioned, you're probably eating a lot more than your logs suggest, and the amount your body actually needs is significantly less than the AI value of 4700 mg - the main reason for recommending so much potassium is that in some hypertensives, potassium can lower blood pressure.
  • akf2000
    akf2000 Posts: 278 Member
    Options

Not sure if you had the same problem, but when I was on Atkins (years ago) I used to suffer cramps in my legs/ feet which I discovered was due to a lack of potassium. I started adding Lo Salt (brand name) to food and it cleared up.
  • kimssporty
    kimssporty Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have fibromyalgia and found that potassium supplements really helped with the pain, however, I gave myself a stomach ulcer because the potassium supplements sit in the stomach to digest and burn a hole in the lining, which I found out the hard way. So I was trading one pain for another. It sucks. I was taking 1500 mg a day. Since I rarely get any at all and we need 4700 mg a day. I was careful to watch my intake because yes you can definitely OD on potassium supplements. I have yet to find a replacement for how much potassium I need to be pain free. :-(
  • RredSonja
    RredSonja Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone. Yes I do get leg cramps! And yes indeed, potassium needs to be taken with plenty of food.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Magnesium can also help with leg cramps.
    80% of Americans are not meeting the daily minimum.
    Potassium supplements can be extremely dangerous.
    Take a multivitamin since vitamins all work together.
    A multi will also have calcium
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Magnesium can also help with leg cramps.
    80% of Americans are not meeting the daily minimum.
    Potassium supplements can be extremely dangerous.
    Take a multivitamin since vitamins all work together.
    A multi will also have calcium

if you're going to take a multi, look for one WITHOUT iron - iron binds calcium and neither will be effectively absorbed
  • dgkg2003
    dgkg2003 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My potassium dropped to 1.7. I had to eat potassium rich foods. I would snack on raisins,pumpkin seed, cashews and veggie soup with beans With all other things moderation is the key. I'm back to where I should be and more aware
  • jmikes1486
    jmikes1486 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Tomatoes, avocados, raisins, and cantaloupes are high in potassium
  • jmikes1486
    jmikes1486 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Also DONT take any multivitamins or other over the counter supplements without first talking it over with your health care provider.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    kimssporty wrote: »
    I have fibromyalgia and found that potassium supplements really helped with the pain, however, I gave myself a stomach ulcer because the potassium supplements sit in the stomach to digest and burn a hole in the lining, which I found out the hard way. So I was trading one pain for another. It sucks. I was taking 1500 mg a day. Since I rarely get any at all and we need 4700 mg a day. I was careful to watch my intake because yes you can definitely OD on potassium supplements. I have yet to find a replacement for how much potassium I need to be pain free. :-(
    You could have take betaine HCl first to help digest the pills.
  • sylkates
    sylkates Posts: 173 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Don't worry about overdosing on potassium pills... at least at the drug stores and GNC's I've been to, there are no supplements that provide more than a tiny % RDV of potassium at once. If that. Most multivitamins don't have it at all. Probably because of the fact that too much at once can kill you.

I was looking for a supplement after being told to get more of it in my diet by a doctor, before I figured I'd just get it from eating more bananas, avocados, spinach, dates, and yogurt, which I already love eating.

Another 2 surprising potassium sources: super dark chocolate and molasses. I make my own chocolate by mixing baking chocolate and sugar, and wow, the pure stuff has a lot of potassium in it.

I might have a sweet tooth. Shut up.
  • lmaharj
    lmaharj Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I drink low sodium V8. Loads of potassium
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Potassium will be on new food labels -- manufacturers will be required to use the new label by July 2018.