Has anyone tried the Wifi/Bluetooth weighing scales?

Options
I'm looking at getting some Wifi scales so that the results of my weight loss go straight to my phone. Has anyone got some that they recommend? I've heard that some (ie FitBit Aria) are expensive but not accurate at all!

What do you think?

Replies

• hiyomi
    hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I had the FitBit Aria for about a week. I returned it, but not because it didn't work, but because I realized $130 was sitting on my floor doing nothing except me standing on it lol. I also did not like it because weight fluctuates daily/normally, and the Aria would record every single weight and sync it to MFP. So it would show losses/gains waaaaay too much. It was nice and fancy and all, but it just wasn't for me. And if you are a daily weigher like myself, it will drive you nuts to see temporary gains on your progress chart on MFP that the FitBit Aria recorded lol
  • emmylootwo
    emmylootwo Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I have the Fitbit Aria as well. I hate it. It's not very consistent, takes a long time to register a weight, an even longer time to send that weight over the wifi, and is not very responsive. Half the time I can't get it to turn on. Do not recommend this one at least.
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    I mean you could spend the money on it or you could just track your weight automatically. I prefer the $15 dollar method. I can enter my own weight and make my own graphs. I don't need to pay $130 for that.
  • simongatward
    simongatward Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I use the Withings Smart Body Analyzer (WS50) and find it great. It recognises the whole family automatically, and syncs my weight and body fat% back to MyFitnessPal. I find it very accurate and it gives consistent readings (if you move the scales, wait around 5 seconds before getting on otherwise you might see some fluctuations). They do it in black or white, and the white looks quite stylish in our bathroom. Very please, and good for motivation.
  • absofruitly_uk
    absofruitly_uk Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, I'm really tempted but I've just read some really bad reviews. For £80 I want an accurate scale at the very least! And as for making the graphs myself... I mean I could of course... But I like the gadget-ery of it all tbh :)
  • srecupid
    srecupid Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    I just use the app libra on my phone. I took a calendar i got for free from some advertising company and taped it to the wall above my scale. I use my eatsmart scale that's rated pretty highly on amazon and just jot the number down on the corresponding date. When I'm bored or when I get to a certain amount of entries i enter them on libra. It may not be as easy as just stepping on but, it's alot cheaper
  • emmycantbemeeko
    emmycantbemeeko Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I have an Aria and love it. Mine doesn't take long to weigh or to sync (generally the new weight is on the app and synced to Trendweight before I walk from the scale to my computer). It seems to be accurate in the sense that I get consistent weights in a small period of time, I get small changes if I do something like pee or drink a large volume of water and then re-weigh, and it shows an appropriate increase if I hold an object of known weight and reweigh, like a dumbbell (Yes, I played around with a lot when I bought it). The body fat function is sketchy but that's a function of body fat scale technology itself being sketchy, not the Aria specifically. No body fat measuring scales are particularly accurate at that, no matter what they claim.

It was pricey, but I already knew from experience that when I'm tired in the morning, and especially if I'm not excited about what the scale might show, weighing and recording that weight are the first things I stop doing. Having it fully automated has kept me consistent/honest about weighing since I got the Aria (about two years ago now, I think) in a way that I never was before.

MFP showing the fluctuations doesn't bug me, but I think you can set it so it doesn't post every weigh-in that if that is something that bothers you.

Whether or not it's worth the admittedly high cost is down to the individual. For me, the convenience and seamlessness of having it be part of the fitbit ecosystem was worth it, but if I had been better about entering my weights manually I might have stuck with a cheaper scale. Although it has now lasted longer than any cheap scale I've ever bought.