Healthy substitute for cream?

Options
emz_1993
emz_1993 Posts: 96 Member
I use cream as a base for many of my sauces but it's so high in fat and I always go way over! Do any of you guys know a healthy substitute that is still delicious to use? I love serving sauce with most of my dishes be it chicken or fish and spice it up with herbs and spices and veggies.

Replies

• VivianRosser
    VivianRosser Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Cream is really good eat more of it it will help you lose weight
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Half and half?
  • MalcolmX1983
    MalcolmX1983 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Natural yogurt?
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    When I make soup, I swap 2% evaporated milk.
  • HStheBusyBee
    HStheBusyBee Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options
    I use almond milk :)
  • lilyrito
    lilyrito Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Plain Greek yogurt.
  • Foodiethinking
    Foodiethinking Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    In the UK I use Elmea Single Light - about 15cal per 2tbsp I think. I know low-fat versions are supposed to be worse for you but I am very much in the camp of, if it fits I can have it!
  • LeslieB042812
    LeslieB042812 Posts: 1,799 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    The plain Greek yogurt is a good recommendation. Also, low fat sour cream and low fat cream cheese both work well to make soups creamy without adding a lot of fat/calories (not sure how they would be in sauces since I don't generally make creamy sauces). Finally, I like to use the creamy salad dressings made by Bolthouse Farms. They're made with Greek yogurt so they are low calorie but still have a bit of protein. They taste really good and work well to add creaminess to recipes without a lot of calories. Here is a link to their website:
    bolthouse.com/products/dressings
    You can usually find them in the bagged salad section of the produce section of most grocery stores.
  • kirstenb13
    kirstenb13 Posts: 181 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I usually just use milk and maybe a little corn starch, but evaporated milk is probably a better swap.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    Half and half
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    Also, Laughing Cow wedges mixed with a little milk or even cream will give you that fatty, creamy texture with a ton of taste.
  • CaptainPepperJack
    CaptainPepperJack Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Try a different kind of sauces? Cook fruit jelly and balsalmic vinegar with onions and peppers and thyme/rosemary. Make a sauce with other bases, less fat, like mustard or something. :smile:
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    It really depends on the sauce. Can't really answer the question...
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Also, Laughing Cow wedges mixed with a little milk or even cream will give you that fatty, creamy texture with a ton of taste.

Laughing cow cheese sauces are my life. Sometimes I add half and half but if you work with it enough you don't even need that. Especially with some nutritional yeast to thicken it.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    Coconut milk or coconut milk creamer (plain flavor). The creamer has the same consistency as cream and works well in sauces. Love the laughing cow idea!
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Fat free sour cream
  • Soy_K
    Soy_K Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    you could try making a cashew cream. soak the cashews overnight in a bowl of water, then drain and blend the cashews until smooth, adding water to make the consistency you want. you can add all sorts of stuff (lemon juice, a little salt, herbs. or go sweet with it - maple syrup or honey)