Ladies, show me your style!

faithan84
faithan84 Posts: 717 Member
I'm close to goal, and close to needing a whole new wardrobe. My previous style has been "whatever is cheap and fits"... which means t-shirts and jeans. I want to spend some money on nicer clothes that are flattering, but I have no idea where to start! My options feel limitless! Post a picture of your every day or special occasion style to give me ideas! Thanks!

Replies

• faithan84
    Who wants to show off? Or talk about clothes?
  • pichiPurinsesu
    pichiPurinsesu Posts: 776 Member
    i don't wear things i like, more the stuff that fits for just now but as the lbs drop off i've become more confidant and will slowly build up a wardrobe i like; that pretty much means a load of black, dark colours paired with bright accessories and print :lol:
  • faithan84
    that pretty much means a load of black, dark colours paired with bright accessories and print :lol:

That sounds nice. :smile: ... Tropical even!
  • megzchica23
    megzchica23 Posts: 419 Member
    I don't have style LOL I am all about comfort. I like to wear maxi skirts and tank tops a lot with cute cardigan sweaters for if my arms get cold or it isn't summer. I usually always go tank top with cardigan over route even in winter because I sweat a lot and can't have anything up against my arm pits. So it really limits the cute, form fitting girly clothes I can wear. So I gave up and just do that.
  • PandoraGreen721
    PandoraGreen721 Posts: 450 Member
    edited May 2016
    My style is pretty much what you see in my pic. I love wearing heels and dresses/skirts..but I also love loose t-shirts with shorts and chuck Taylor's..I tend to wear more black than I realize..but it's just classic.

You can google spring/summer outfits and create a "style board" based on what you like...just whatever jumps out at you and then you'll get an idea for what you like. Don't wonder if it'll look good on you..just take notice of what catches your eye!
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,388 Member
    I'm suuuuuuper cheap, I hate spending money on clothes and I hate shopping because the cheaper clothes that I'm willing to buy just never fit right. A new store just opened up near me called Uptown Cheapskate. It's a used clothing and accessory store but they only take nice brands and clothes in perfect condition. I literally just got rid of more than half my closet and went on three separate shopping sprees there, trying on like 50 things, and only spent about $200 total! Omg, I'm addicted now. Maybe you have a store like that near you where you can get nicer fitting clothes/better brands for cheaper? Unless second hand just isn't your thing, I get that too! I just suggest doing a google image search to get some styles that you might be interested in. Good luck!!!
  • faithan84
    @megzchica23 I go for comfort too, but I'm not sure that's the most flattering on me! I love maxi skirts, but I'm short so I have to pull them right up to under my bra! Maybe they have a similar style in petites. :smile:

@pandora721 Wow! I'm not sure I could rock your style, but you sure do! Thanks for the style board idea!

@MonkeyMel21 We have an Uptown Cheapskate here! I almost forgot about it. Thanks for the reminder! It would be a great place to try a bunch of different styles for sure. I got a cute little black dress there a few months ago for $15!
  • jenovatrix
    jenovatrix Posts: 219 Member
    edited May 2016
    Have you tried Stitch Fix? I've used it a couple times and gotten some nice things out of there. It's fun, you fill out a whole profile about what you like and don't like (colors, patterns), and how you like to wear clothes (cover my arms, show off my cleavage, that sort of thing). You pay $20, they send you a box of 5 items. You try them on and pay for whatever you keep, the $20 is credited toward it. Anything you choose not to keep you can send back, and they give you a paid return envelope.
  • faithan84
    @jenovatrix Cool! I'll check them out!
  • megzchica23
    megzchica23 Posts: 419 Member
    faithan84 wrote: »
    @megzchica23 I go for comfort too, but I'm not sure that's the most flattering on me! I love maxi skirts, but I'm short so I have to pull them right up to under my bra! Maybe they have a similar style in petites. :smile:

@pandora721 Wow! I'm not sure I could rock your style, but you sure do! Thanks for the style board idea!

@MonkeyMel21 We have an Uptown Cheapskate here! I almost forgot about it. Thanks for the reminder! It would be a great place to try a bunch of different styles for sure. I got a cute little black dress there a few months ago for $15!

You could always just hem them up to the length you need! I recently got a sewing machine because I realized how much easier it would be to just slightly adjust clothes to my needs then searching for a million years for something that fit just right.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    edited May 2016
    i have a feeling that my style is not at all what you are looking for
  • synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,369 Member
    I'm a jeans an t shirt kinda girl. But in the summer I love little sun dresses. I kind of have a million dresses and shirts actually but I live in Canada so they're not practical for all season everyday wear. I'm also a stay at home mom. Anyway bright colours and skinny jeans, boots for winter. I need to figure out my summer wardrobe once again.
  • lseed87
    lseed87 Posts: 1,110 Member
    Im pretty casual... kind of in the same boat.. buying what fits even if it isn't 100% what I wish I was wearing. Basically fit in XL and larger depending on the brands. But my polyvore is my creative outlet and what I wish i had

Lseed87.polyvore.com

• Shana67
    Shana67 Posts: 680 Member
    For work clothes, Banana Republic. I work for a very conservative financial services company, and their clothes are perfect. But when work is done, after being strapped into those clothes all day, I need to relax. I love Old Navy for anything relaxing.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    I have zero style! Comfort all the way. Used to buy all old Navy clothes but the local stores have gone to hell, they're always looking like they just moved in.

Now I buy all Target. Yoga pants, leggings, maxi skirts, soft tank tops and cardigans or short sleeve button ups over the top in cool weather.
  • joolie1234
    joolie1234 Posts: 126 Member
    I did not have a sense of style until I hit my 30s and started watching What not to Wear! The basic rules are: fit is the most important factor in how to look good in something, don't be afraid of color, and comfortable doesn't have to mean frumpy! Pinterest is good for making a style board so you have an idea of what you like. Thrift shopping is especially great as you're dropping sizes and don't want to spend a lot. I buy almost everything second-hand - today I am wearing a dress that I got for $4 at salvation army, and I once bought the entire contents in my size from someone who was closing her consignment shop. I pick up a few trendy things from TJ Maxx to stay current, they are great at stocking the latest stuff.
  • drpsamin
    drpsamin Posts: 265 Member
    Recent purchase. Love dresses.