Workout for a 50 year old man.

Options
I am 52 and 259 lbs. I have HBP and cholesterol. I used to work out religiously but obviously I'm not now. I am confused as to what is the best work out routine for a man my age who hasn't worked out in years. I hate approaching anything without some kind of plan to achieve results. There is as much work out advice and plans and tools as there is sand at the beach. I've been thru a bunch but without success. Chest & Tris, Back & Bis, Legs and cardio but I have no idea the best way to organize a plan. Men's Health & Men's Fitness is about damned useless they must have hundreds of "plans". Is it best to go to the gym? Use Bands at home? Or DVD's?? Any suggestions

Replies

• veggiecanner
    veggiecanner Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I'm 60 , with high BP and colesteral, Doctor told me to start walking. I know that sounds boring but that would get you in better shape to lift. I'm bike riding now and my colesteral is almost normal. BP is normal. I started slow and am doing 5-10 mile bike rides with no problem.
  • 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    I'm 50 and in the EXACT SAME Boat!!
    I log my food accurately and religiously, stay within my calorie allotment and do my best to be within my macros.
    For exercise I have the generic equivalent of the check Noris machine ($150 vs $600+) and a treadmill I purchased used for 50 bucks.
    After a very slow start I can do an hour on the treadmill at a slow pace but it still burns around 400 cal.
    In the month I've been tracking I have lost 9 pounds and I am down one size.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    I'm only 43 but I would advise the following:

(1) Cut calories with a reasonable deficit and eat mostly whole foods. Target more protein intake than you think you need. The general consnsus for strength training is about 0.8 grams per pound of body weight. Focus on lean meats, fish, vegetables, fruits, dairy, legumes and nuts. You need not cut out pasta, bread and rice, but definitely cut them back and don't let those crowd out the vegetables, fruit, meat and dairy that should form the core of your diet. Keep sweets and alcohol to a minimum. But a food scale and weigh everything. As crazy as it may sound do it. You'll surprise yourself with the how small portions are when they're weighed.

(2) Find a strength training program you like and will stick with. A simple 5x5 program is a good staring point. These include starting strength and Stronglifts. Also take a look at 5/3/1. If you prefer a bodybuilding split that's also ok. If you don't want to use free weights then start with machines but keep your eye on the free weights as you regain your strength.

(3) Walk, swim or ride a bike. Once you lose the weight then consider running if you enjoy it but save your knees until you get the weight off. I suggest this only from my own experiences. You don't need a lot of cardio but you should target daily activity.

I know that's more than you asked. Good luck!
  • Ws2016
    Ws2016 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    59 and cutting calories for 3 mos now. My workouts are primarily for weight loss although I have begun weights recently. I think to develop a plan you first have to set a hoal, one should do. Sounds like you want to lose weight so so exercises that burn calories, which is cardio, and start slow. Walking for a few weeks rhen jump on the stationary bike or elliptical. Lots of ways to use those to burn calories. I do the elliptical daily and try to break it. Dripping with sweat but sure burn the calories. I mentioned weights. They are a good workout too. Definitely pay for a couple of fitness trainer sessions so you get someone looking at your form. Us out of shape older guys do not have the physical forgiveness that some on mfp do. Good luck!
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    A good strength program for your age group is New Rules of Lifting for Life. As was said, try to hire a good trainer for a few sessions, or at least video yourself to check your form. Oh, and since you have medical issues, get a doctor's clearance to exercise. :+1:
  • shagerty777
    shagerty777 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I started last year with a spin class and trying to get a handle on my nutrition. As I began to get in better shape I started walking and worked my way up to running now. In November I finally found a plan for lifting weights that I like, it's nicely balanced and is a full body program using free weights. I've lost 40 pounds so far and still have some body fat to lose but I'm in no hurry, this is a journey I want to last the rest of my life so I shoot for sustainable vs fast. I'm now 47 years old and am in the best shape I've been in years. Matter of fact, I just finished a 3.1 mile run. The weight program I'm using is Allpro's beginner routine from bodybuilding dot com. It has me lifting 3 days a week with rest in between and I'm upping my cardio in between to keep the ticker happy. Here's a link to the program forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843 Hit me up with a friend request if you want to ask any questions on it.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    A good strength program for your age group is New Rules of Lifting for Life. As was said, try to hire a good trainer for a few sessions, or at least video yourself to check your form. Oh, and since you have medical issues, get a doctor's clearance to exercise. :+1:

Agree with this. You might want to try the 2 simple assessments in this article to see if you have the mobility for common resistance exercises.

http://deansomerset.com/the-worlds-easiest-assessment-and-how-to-tell-if-you-need-more-mobility-instantly/

Best of luck.
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I am 53, and for me, my answer has been swimming. There isn't any stress on my muscles, and I can do this activity daily if I wish to. There are times when lap swimming that I go into a Zen mode, and let my mind wander. There are times when I push myself, and my heart seems to love this. Plus at the end I get to sit in the hot tub and drink my water. It's an activity I can do daily until well forever.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    55 here. Can't say I'm an expert on this stuff, but I'll throw in my 2 cents...

You don't mention height, so I'm not sure what your target BMI or body fat is. However, with both high BP and cholesterol, it sounds like your first item of business is to cut body fat -- in most cases, both your BP and cholesterol will drop as you drop body fat. If you have a sweet tooth, dropping your sugar intake will lower your triglycerides (in my case, laying off sugared drinks made a huge difference). Use the tools here to come up with a reasonable weight loss per week -- unless you're really tall, you can probably stand to start out at 2lbs per week and work from there.

Since you used to work out a lot, you probably have a good idea what you like, so start doing it again (just start slow -- it's a marathon, not a sprint) -- what to do is not nearly as important as just getting going. The exercise can contribute to weight loss, but the main reason is for your health -- bodies need to move to stay healthy.
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    It really depends on your ability level. I know people in their 50s that can out perform me in the CrossFit gym. I also know people in their 50s who are so out of shape and overweight that can barely walk 5 minutes without being out of breath. If you can do basic movements I'd suggest trying a full body workout. If you want to join a gym, then join one. If you don't then don't. If you want to try boxing, or CrossFit, or Tai Chi then do it. Find something you love doing that challenges you and that you'll do consistently. I mean personally if I didn't know what to do I'd just start with something like this http://www.muscleandfitness.com/workouts/workout-routines/complete-mf-beginners-training-guide-0
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    You have had loads of great advice.

Here is the workout that I started doing at 56 (a year after I started getting healthy) It took me months and months to just be able to complete it. Weak as a kitten and couldn't do a push up. Now, 7 years later, I have added challenges to the moves and it is still my workout away from home.
    https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

Definitely start with something that is appropriate for your fitness level and grow from there. My starting point was aqua fit and walking. Try a few things and stick with what you like. Go slow.

Cheers, h.
  • BiggDaddy58
    BiggDaddy58 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I'm 57 and here's the advice my Dr gave me. "Put On Your Shoes" meaning, just start, do something, anything to get started. I weighed 308 pounds on Feb 29th and was in the diabetic range A1C @ 7.4 I put together my own diet and exercise program. I cut calories to 1200 a day and mainly rode my stationary bike. I know the calories will have to be upped (and I am slowly raising that now) but I am up to 60-70 minutes a day on the bike..and lift light weights in the morning. I weighed in last week at 265.8 and in April I went to the Dr and my A1C test was 5.4

I'll adjust my diet and exercise as I lose weight and build stamina. So, my advice is stop looking for the best program for you and "put your shoes on" Just start.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    You have to start where you are!

Walk first, then walk farther, then walk faster.

Jog if it feels good.

Do a simple lifting plan once you are feeling more comfortable moving around - my guy (51 in a couple weeks) does rows, deadlifts, military press, squats, that's about it for the weights. He does pushups, pullups, dips, also does crunches (ack I hate crunches) and is starting yoga because he is lacking mobility in upper body.

If you are overweight, you are well positioned to improve your health though, simply by losing weight. So that's good. Focus on slimming down and while you are doing that, start with gentle exercise and do more as you begin to feel more fit.

Don't discount the power of just walking, either. My mom has never kept up any purposeful exercise except walking. She's 77 and in good shape, has never been fat. She just walks.
  • jakkrk
    jakkrk Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Im 46 now. Started at 45 @ 215#, HPB and Cholesterol. I found a my gym family (finally) and that has made a big difference in my motivation and my workouts. Im now at 172#, no longer on meds for cholesterol, I've pretty much stopped snoring. Now working on my HPB. You just have to start. Set smaller goals. Don't give up. It's not going to be easy. I joined a Combative Sports Gym (mma, bjj, kickboxing, etc.) I enjoying it a whole lot more that a regular 'weights' gym.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    I was in your position 4 years ago at 54years old. I started out at 5'7", 235lbs and 35% body fat. My energy was very low and I could not climb a flight of stairs without tiring.

When I started with a personal trainer, he had me on a 6 day program: 4 days strength, 2 days cardio and 1 day of "active rest" per week. For the strength work, he had me do lots of different body weight movements: lunges, squats, bridges, planks, pushups, etc. (The link to nerdfitness.com/blog provided by @Middlehaitch gives a good representation of exercises to start you out. ) My early cardio sessions were performed on a treadmill, elliptical, etc. (If you are not a gym member, you can easily just do this outside. Start by walking, then introduce run/walk stretches into your sessions. Increase pace and distance slowly) The key to the workouts was to perform them consistently and push yourself a bit each day. Progress REQUIRES vigilance around food choices and amounts as well as good exercise habits. In 9 months, I lost 45 lbs and lowered my BF% to 19%.

I have changed the strength to cardio workout ratio several times depending on my focus. The initial focus on strength drove muscle growth and plenty of fat burning, but as I became more fit, I moved to fewer strength and more cardio sessions in order to build run fitness. My current routine is 2S/4C days during the winter "off season", and now all cardio sessions (3 swim,3bike, 3run) during the triathlon season.

Again, while it is not easy, it is very achievable. There is no magic pill, just make a decision to do something each day and you will succeed.
  • jessiethe3rd
    jessiethe3rd Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    With age comes wisdom. I figure every man will have his own goals in mind so there really is no ideal plan for all men.

For me it's about leaning out while gaining muscle and losing weight. This takes a lot of patience and I am okay if my body weight goals do not go down 1-2 pounds per week. As long as that bodyfat percentage goes down that is what matters.

I want to pack on 10 pounds of muscle over the next 6 weeks while reducing my bodyfat by 30 pounds. I want to be 187 at 10-12% bodyfat.

Right now I am at 225 at 28%. Of the 64 pounds of bodyfat I have, Ill need to lose a total of 40 pounds of it.

That requires a lot or compound heavy weight exercises. My results are coming along even if the scale is not moving at a super fast pace.
  • ScubaSteve1962
    ScubaSteve1962 Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I started at 50, (now 54) with the simple CDC guideline. My goal was to get off HBP medication, while I'm not completely off, I only take it twice a week. I went 6 months with out taking it without any problem. I'm now doing 60 mins of vigorous cardio 5 days a week. plan to start swimming and lifting on the weekends.
    http://www.cdc.gov/physicalactivity/basics/adults/