Mtn Dew withdrawal

Options
I have been doing good with weight loss, down 10 lbs in 4 weeks and increased from walking one mile to three.
I had cut down my Mtn Dew from 4 bottles a day to 2. Now cutting out those last 2! Scared of the withdrawals and how long they will last. I dont drink coffee so this was my only caffeine. Anyone else kicked the habit? Did you see a difference in your weight loss?

Replies

• upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I definitely got cranky cutting out caffeine. Try hot tea for a small caffeine hit to help you wean off. I do find ice water can help give me that pep hit.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I gave up Coke (the cola) in 2008. I switched to unsweetened ice tea, so I was still caffeinated. Despite the caffeine, I was still crabby and head achy for about two weeks. After that, I was fine, and the cravings pretty much disappeared.

Initially I did see some weight loss, but I must have replaced the coke with something else, and my weight started going back up again. I wasn't logging my food, or exercising. If you are logging and exercising, it is a good way to help restrict calories. I'm not militant about it; I occasionally have one after a long hike.
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I kicked a hardcore Diet Dr. Pepper habit a few years ago. It was hard as hell, but I kept after it and kept trying thru several failures. Made my life a lot better in the long run.
  • pvju
    pvju Posts: 115 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I can't give up my coffee but have tried and it just hurts - headache, cranky etc. Maybe if you go really slow like drop a half can a week it will be less painful?

Green tea is supposedly pretty caffeinated so you could add in that with a little honey or straight (if you can take it) to soften the withdrawal.

But certainly you should see weight loss - not sure the calories in a can of soda but it's probably abound 150 - two of those a day is about a pound of weight loss every ten or so days - so you could see another 3lbs a month come off if you don't add in new calories.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Keep doing it gradually. Aspirin can help with the headaches for some people.
  • wickedmaineah
    wickedmaineah Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I cut it out today besides a half a bottle this morning that was left in the fridge. I am shocked how many more calories I still have available tonight. There is no way I will eat them all. I already dont eat back exercise calories. What a difference. Hopefully it will make a difference in losing my belly fat!
  • phillyhockeyfan
    phillyhockeyfan Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Mountain Dew was my favorite soda. Before I quit, I'd have 2-3 a day. I just quit cold turkey when I decided to start loosing weight. Luckily for me I didn't have any headaches to deal with. Do you drink other kinds of caffine? Do you like tea? That may help. Have you tried diet dew? Are you just trying to cut out the calories from it or soda all together? Since January I've only had one small can of dew on a cheat day. It was so good, but I only allowed myself the one. Good luck kicking the habit. As another poster suggested aspirin will help with any headaches from withdrawals you may get.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Ibuprofen kicks a caffeine headache for me.
    Caffeine withdrawal doesn't last long in my experience (a day or two tops).
  • joannamfmorris
    joannamfmorris Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    For me it was sweet tea. I've given it up and the first week was terrible. I cut that and sweets out for 30 days back in January. I had a headache, felt achy. Now I occasionally have sweets but rarely drink calories. It has definitely helped with my weight loss.
  • noon1200
    noon1200 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Diet Mountain Dew tastes pretty good, if you switch to diet you can cut out a lot of calories and still have your two bottles a day.
  • mccraee
    mccraee Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    You can get down to one bottle same way that you got down to 2. Just keep backing it off. Slow is ok if you want to avoid the headaches. When you get down to one bottle, switch to warm, flat diet mt. dew. Or switch to warm, flat diet something else that you don't really like to drink. Take a swig when you need to (carry it around with you). Tylenol helps, too. drink tons of water. Morning workouts might make you feel better, too.
  • AspenDan
    AspenDan Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Quitting mtn dew and calorie drinks for 2 weeks was my first step, and I lost 5-10lb from that alone..probably mostly water weight but it was still very encouraging at that time.
  • emmycantbemeeko
    emmycantbemeeko Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Different people react differently to caffeine, so you may have few or no withdrawal symptoms. For me, I'm down to one or two diet cokes or unsweet iced teas a day, but if I miss one? Massive migraine incoming. My husband drinks a ridiculous amount of Mt. Dew- probably a liter+ a day (he's very active in the military and not on a calorie restriction), but if we're somewhere where we can't get any for a few days? He's fine. No headaches or crankiness.

I find excedrin (which has a dose of caffeine in it) is helpful for those occasions I wind up with a withdrawal headache. If you are very sensitive to caffeine, veeeery gradual decrease is the way to go- when you get down to one bottle, try half of it in the morning and half at night, etc.

And agreed with the advice from mccraee about making it less appetizing if you want to break the psychological addiction as well as the physical dependence. A warm flat soda will prevent a headache, but will ruin the appeal.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I've quit coffee before. If you can, taper. But in any case the difficulty only lasts a few days.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    Try Mello Yello Zero. Tastes very good for a diet drink and can help you avoid the caffeine withdrawal.
  • Secerbus
    Secerbus Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I went decaf and haven't noticed anything different
  • Steff46
    Steff46 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I used to be hooked on Mtn. Dews too! I did my withdrawal in steps. I cut down to two a day for a few weeks, then switched to the caffeinated diet Mtn. Dew for a few weeks (I had a hard time with the artificial sweetener in it). I now opt for Powerade original (sometimes I water it down), unsweetened tea, water, or coffee (with real sugar). One trick I use for caffeine headaches or just to give me a boost when I need it is Vivarin (caffeine pills). About the weight loss difference...maybe some but I'm sure I have made up for those calories in solid foods. :) .
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    I cut Mtn Dew (3-4 12oz cans per day) out of my diet and then soda entirely (unless it's a special occasion). I occasionally will drink coffee, but usually just have a 200mg caffeine pill twice or thrice a day...no calories and I still get my caffeine fix!
  • cmtristani
    cmtristani Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    The fantastic thing I found when giving up all soda was all the calories I freed up to eat real food. 150 cals a can, give or take, three cans a day was wasted calories. As soon as I realized that equated to a salmon fillet and a Greek salad, I was done with it. Caffeine and sugar headaches for me lasted four days. And there is some truth to cutting out all that sugar and feeling better because of it, I know I did.
  • louisepaul16
    louisepaul16 Posts: 261 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I'm following a no added sugar approach to weight loss. I will eat everything I want providing it doesn't have added sugar.

When I stopped, the first few days were ok, day 4-9 were hell. No going to lie, but it DOES get better. Cannot think of going back and eating a high sugar diet now.
    If you're craving fizzy drinks in general, double check your calcium intake. I was seriously calcium deficient, and quite often that results in cravings for fizzy drinks.

As for the caffeine, I also have given up coffee in the past and it's hard, but again a week, and I was feeling so
    Much better. Now I only have a max of 2 coffees a day so I don't get back into that rhythm. I am an all
    Or nothing person. I go cold turkey and deal with it. Did the same with stopping smoking last year.

Good luck.