Soda?

Hello everyone, im quite new to the whole weight loss and calorie watching thing, but i do want to be healthier than i am. I know sodas arent good and i should cut them down but is it okay to have one every other day?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Log the calories and you'll be fine. The reason many people advise against drinking sodas when losing weight is because they can have a high number of calories and they aren't very filling. But they're just calories. As long as you are accounting for them, they won't keep you from losing weight.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    You could also switch to diet. They are zero calories and therefore would not impact your weight loss.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    They are not health food. I drink one about 4 times a year as a treat. My daily drinks are water, black unsweetened coffee, unsweetened tea, and skim milk. Sweet things in my mouth make me want more sweet things. I'm not real sure about any sweeteners long term effects, so I just don't make any sweet items a regular habit.
  • Secerbus
    Secerbus Posts: 8 Member
    If they fit your macros yes, however you can try something like coke zero if you really want soda, zero for 0 calories.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    rtpyro wrote: »
    Hello everyone, im quite new to the whole weight loss and calorie watching thing, but i do want to be healthier than i am. I know sodas arent good and i should cut them down but is it okay to have one every other day?

I have a weakness for the 1893 Ginger Pepsi. I treat it like a dessert. I have one as a snack, not super frequently, but when I'm craving one I usually have one in the fridge. You can make anything fit into your plan. As long as you're not left hungry you'll be fine.
  • janejellyroll
    MissusMoon wrote: »

I have a weakness for the 1893 Ginger Pepsi. I treat it like a dessert. I have one as a snack, not super frequently, but when I'm craving one I usually have one in the fridge. You can make anything fit into your plan. As long as you're not left hungry you'll be fine.

I haven't heard of that -- is it ginger-flavored cola? That sounds amazing.
  • srecupid
    srecupid Posts: 660 Member
    A can of pop is like 120 calories. Every other day would work out to 60 calories a day on average. This isn't significant. Just don't drink it all day everyday like some people.
  • elphie754
    srecupid wrote: »
    A can of pop is like 120 calories. Every other day would work out to 60 calories a day on average. This isn't significant. Just don't drink it all day everyday like some people.

Or drink diet which is zero calories.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    edited May 2016
    MissusMoon wrote: »

I haven't heard of that -- is it ginger-flavored cola? That sounds amazing.

Yes, it's like old fashioned cola type soda with a strong hit of ginger. 150 calories per tall skinny can. Worth every single calorie for me...but again, I treat it like a dessert!
  • ridge4mfp
    ridge4mfp Posts: 301 Member
    Sure, if you can fit it into your calorie goals. But I have found that I much prefer to spend my calories on solid food, so I switched to Coke Zero. I was a hard-core Classic Coke fan. I found adding lemon/lime helped quite a bit. Now I don't remember what Classic Coke tastes like!
  • BiggDaddy58
    BiggDaddy58 Posts: 406 Member
    Up to you..I have cut soda out of diet..have had maybe 4 cans since Feb...there are other calories which are more important to me..But..to each their own. I drink coffee and Mineral water..It ain't coke, but it's better for me
  • srecupid
    elphie754 wrote: »

True but so is black coffee,tea,and water. All of which taste better than that artificial *kitten* in diet pop. I personally just gave it up because I'd rather have some kind of candy or cookie instead
  • janejellyroll

True but so is black coffee,tea,and water. All of which taste better than that artificial *kitten* in diet pop. I personally just gave it up because I'd rather have some kind of candy or cookie instead

Taste is subjective. Coffee, tea, and water may taste better to you (and that's fine), but lots of people enjoy the taste of diet soda. I happen to enjoy the taste of all four beverages.
  • elphie754

Perhaps to you. To me, diet tastes better than unsweetened tea.
  • CaptainJoy
    CaptainJoy Posts: 257 Member
    If you want a coke every other day that's fine. It's only 140 calories for a 12 ounce can. A 7.5 ounce can is even better and has fewer calories.
  • srecupid

Perhaps to you. To me, diet tastes better than unsweetened tea.

True true taste is completely subjective. All diet pop tastes off to me. Heck even adding a sweetener to tea wouldn't add many calories and would still be better imo