Is sleeping late a factor of not losing any weight?

Options
I have to admit it. I sleep really late, or pull all-nighters and I can't help it. I try so hard to go to sleep but I can't. I fall asleep around 3 or 4 in the morning and i wake up like at 11 sometimes. I admit it. I know.. im ashamed of it. I realized maybe I might not be losing any weight is the lack of sleep.

One question:

Does the lack of sleep make you gain weight? What are your experiences?

Replies

• sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    I don't see why that would be a factor if you are getting decent sleep -- looks like you're getting 8 hours.. However, failing to eat enough calories while you are awake could be a factor.

Here is a nice explanation:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/196502-for-the-people-who-work-out-like-crazy-and-are-not-losing?hl=for+people+who+work+out+like+crazy

blessings.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    It might have some impact, I have read some articles that say that your body needs enough rest to function well, so I guess that would play some part.
    Mostly though I think it would be more about whether staying up late and sleeping in affects your eating and exercising habits.
  • gjulie
    gjulie Posts: 391
    Options
    it is said lack of sleep can stop you loosing weight but I dont know if this is accurate,I could sleep 14 hours if I was allowed have never had sleep difficulties,I should be skinny but im far from it,sleep is definately a factor for your general health and well being bit I think it boils down to your calorie intake not how much sleep you get!!!Unless of course you are raiding the fridge while you are awake!!!!
  • NikkisNewStart
    NikkisNewStart Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    As long as you are sleeping, which you are, I don't think it necessarily matters what hours of the day you are getting your sleep if it isn't interfering with your life.

Oh and as you can see... it's almost 2:30 am here and I'm still awake... on weekends or when my husband is off of work... I have been known to stay up until 4 am and sleep until 3pm... so... whatevs... lol Just know you aren't alone w/ your wacky sleep schedule!
  • jenniferfelice
    Options
    I am the exact same way, hence why I'm replying at 3:30am :S
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    The time doesn't matter. I'm a night owl (hence the name), and it hasn't affected my weight loss at all. What's important is making sure you get enough sleep. Aim for 8 hours a night if you can. It will do all sorts of wonders for your body. But the time you go to sleep and wake up won't make a difference.
  • elcar7
    elcar7 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    what I've personally expercienced that too much slepping affects my weight loss.

i usually go to bed early (at 9 or so) since I have to get up early in the morning. in the days I don't have to stand up I sleep a little longer, but still go to bed early unless there's something sociable going on. I noticed when I am staying up later and standing up at my natural time I'm more likely to have lost weight then in my normal day-night rhythym. so my theory is that too much sleep (if its more than 8hrs/day) holds you from loosing weight, since the basal metabolic rate is shut down longer than it should be.

hope that helps at least a little
  • FabiolaEnvy♥
    Options
    i dont think it really does since you are getting your sleep

I mean i dont go to sleep till like 3 sometime. its almost 1 my time.. but
    i know i need to sleep. cause i actually gotta get up for workout then get ready to go out on my "little date" (i just call it hanging out) but people say its a date.. meh whatever i dont care im just chilling with this person.. (oops went off topic)

but, if you are getting your hours of sleep. you should be fine
    it could just be your calories intakes, or sometime lack of workout.

im still losing weight even if i go to bed around 3 but i wake up around 11 to 12..
    it depends on when i go to sleep. maybe not as much as i would like to... but i think it does play a small amount.

but if you do everything else right, you should be losing a good amount of weight.

I feel lucky if i do end up sleeping before midnight ♥

♥ you are not alone with this wacky schedule of sleep hours ♥

love
    Fabiola
  • capturethemoments3
    Options
    Even if you are staying up until 3 or 4 in the morning if you are sleeping in until 11 that is a good 7-8 hours of sleep. I wouldn't say the time of your sleeping matters as long as you are getting the recommended amount.

Good luck.
  • knovello82
    knovello82 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I grew up with insomnia and never had weight issues until I got a desk job (I now 8 hours of sleep a night, with the help of Ambien)
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Sleeping late CAN contribute to slower weight loss if you tend to be less active late at night (e.g. watching TV, surfing the web, not walking around the house as much), which makes you more sedentary. My bro is a case in point, so he's been trying to sleep a bit earlier. Just make sure you're getting enough rest as well as activity.
  • melusinagr
    melusinagr Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I have an even worse sleep schedule and it hasn't affected my weight loss. However, everyone is different, so what doesn't affect me could affect you.
  • jellybaby84
    jellybaby84 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, I'm a sporadic insomniac and always assumed that I was losing more weight on a night I don't sleep because I'm burning more calories being awake.

No factual basis for that though, I just assumed.
  • TenLaws
    TenLaws Posts: 273
    Options
    Sleep gives you time for your muscles to repair. I wonder if naps count, too..
  • kgool
    kgool Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    My doctor said time does not matter other than 8 hours duration, but what is important is consistency. He claimed that most of your recovery and rebuilding time occurs in the first REM sleep cycle and if you get 8 hours but at all different times then that REM cycle is not consistent. According to him this is why swing shift workers take a while to adjust when they switch shifts.
  • homograph
    homograph Posts: 2
    Options
    I have to admit it. I sleep really late, or pull all-nighters and I can't help it. I try so hard to go to sleep but I can't. I fall asleep around 3 or 4 in the morning and i wake up like at 11 sometimes. I admit it. I know.. im ashamed of it. I realized maybe I might not be losing any weight is the lack of sleep.

Huh. You might want to google DSPS.