More fat not calorie counting ???

My friend sent me this link today . Apparently It's just been in the news that a healthy diet should be more fat and less carbs. And it's the way forward xxhttp://news.sky.com/story/1700522/new-advice-on-nations-diet-sparks-health-row

Im confused now . Does calorie counting not work then ??

Replies

• AnthonyX150X
    AnthonyX150X Posts: 293 Member
    Calorie counting works to lose, maintain, or gain weight. To be honest, a healthy diet is subjective. A person can be healthy on high fat, low carbs and a person can healthy on low fat, high carbs. It is just a matter of preference and what works for you.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Of course it works, this is just debunking the idea that low fat is the way to go. There have been so many trends propagated by the folks who do this research, it's difficult because maybe they are correct but how can we know for sure when science is always showing new ideas? First eggs are evil now they're great, for example.

But this is kind of in line with how I already eat. Fats fill me up and satisfy me as a food item more than a protein item would. Example: in equal portions I would prefer cheese over chicken. I don't weigh in anymore but I am seeing steady inches lost with 50% or so calories from fat by the end of the day. So I support research like this in challenging the ideas that have people feeling unsuccessful- if a person feels like they can't stick to a calorie goal where they think they can only eat fish and broccoli, they're going to have a hard time but perhaps reading this research they will see that a calorie restriction with higher fat content can include all their favorites.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    The media likes flashy titles, only a couple of months ago the news was saying it's the other way around. People just want someone to tell them that there is some magical solution to weight loss that goes beyond good old honest effort just to be able to say "oh so that's why I haven't lost weight, I've been doing it all wrong all along". The only solution for weight loss that holds true regardless of the media rollercoaster is that calories matter (as long as you put in the effort).
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    I've been eating a high fat diet with low carbs for over a year. It works; maybe not for all but for many. Often the reason this diet works for people is but reducing appetite and cravings, hence less of a need for calorie coubting - not in all but in many. Plus there is a slight thermogenic benefit from eating proteins and fats so one can technically eat more calories (within reason - only a hundred or so kcal difference) and still lose weight.

You will still need to be in a caloric deficit to lose weight but many find it easier to create that deficit eating LCHF, especially those with halth issues related to sugar like IR and CAD.

Plus, as the article says, increasing fats and lowering carbs (mainly highly processed carbs) will improve your cardiovascular health and help reverse T2D. This is true even without weightloss.

Try it if what you are doing isn't working for you or you have some health issues that may benefit from a LCHF diet. If not, keep doing what is working for you.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Lillyloooo wrote: »
    My friend sent me this link today . Apparently It's just been in the news that a healthy diet should be more fat and less carbs. And it's the way forward xxhttp://news.sky.com/story/1700522/new-advice-on-nations-diet-sparks-health-row

Im confused now . Does calorie counting not work then ??

If that were the case, my 1200 calorie rib eye steaks, all the wonderful gourmet cheese I ate would not have caused me to be obese. Guess what? They did.

There's a lot of bad "science" reporting around. The link is an example of it.
  • Secerbus
    Secerbus Posts: 8 Member
    Calorie counting works, it's the most accurate way we have currently to measure energy from food.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,241 Member
    Yeah, physics stopped working all of a sudden the other day.