Help! Need advise on how to hit right macros

Options
vixxy_lp
vixxy_lp Posts: 4 Member
Hey everyone, hope to you're all well.
Can anyone give me advise on how to reach the right macros each day. When I try to meal plan I always seem to end up with too much of one and not enough of the others. I just can't work out how to balance it all. Please help :-(

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    You should be able to see which foods are higher in the macros you want to reduce. Eat less of those. You should also be able to see which foods are higher in the macros you aren't getting enough of. Eat less of those.

Don't obsess with hitting an exact count each day. As long as you're in the ballpark, you will get the benefits. If you're way under on something, adjust your diet. If it's just a few grams, don't worry about it.

What, in particular, are you struggling to get enough of?
  • vixxy_lp
    Options
    Protein. Can only ever hit my protein goal if I have chicken and veg twice a day but that gets boring and doesn't always fill me up so I end up eating more and going way over.
    I just can't seem to plan 3 meals a day that are filling and balanced.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    vixxy_lp wrote: »
    Protein. Can only ever hit my protein goal if I have chicken and veg twice a day but that gets boring and doesn't always fill me up so I end up eating more and going way over.
    I just can't seem to plan 3 meals a day that are filling and balanced.

I can't see your diary, but there are lots of foods with protein besides chicken.
  • vixxy_lp
    Options
    The only meat I eat is chicken and pork. I do eat tofu but find that high in fat so always struggle to keep it balanced with too much of that.
    Can you recommend other foods high in protein that I can try please?
  • rosieandroo
    rosieandroo Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Aw, chicken and veg twice a day does sound pretty dull! Fish (salmon and tuna, and probably a lot more but I mostly eat salmon and tuna), eggs, yoghurt, lean beef, lentils, nut butter, nuts, tofu. Try mixing up and trying different things, adding some protein to snacks, or breakfast, and experimenting with different recipes.

http://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/recipe-collections-favorites/healthy-meals/high-protein-recipes

Here's a bunch of high protein recipes, but you could try googling more and see if there are any you find that you like. I was also low on protein - I think it's a pretty common problem when we're less aware of what we're eating, to lean towards carbs and fats and away from protein - but little by little adjustments have allowed me to up my protein to a more appropriate percentage. Hope this helps!
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Make protein a priority. From there fat and lastly carbs. Preplanning your day should help you from going over. Make sure you are weighing your food and logging correct entries (avoid homemade or generic).

ETA: other protein sources can be greek yogurt, beans, seeds, eggs, cottage cheese, milk (Fairlife is awesome). You can always use a protein bar/powder
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    vixxy_lp wrote: »
    The only meat I eat is chicken and pork. I do eat tofu but find that high in fat so always struggle to keep it balanced with too much of that.
    Can you recommend other foods high in protein that I can try please?

Tofu only has six grams of fat per serving (124 grams). Are you on a low fat diet?

If you're looking for lower fat foods that are higher in protein, you can try beans or seitan.
  • vixxy_lp
    Options
    Thanks for sharing that article rosieandroo. There's quite a few recipes in there I would eat! :)