Another reason weight is just a number

Options
A friend of mine posted a link to this blog and thought it would be beneficial for others to see: http://everydaypaleo.com/2011/06/22/attention-scale-addicts-part-2/ It shows the lady below who changed her diet and exercise habits, got great results, but stayed the same weight.

Deb155lbs-300x286.jpg

Just another reason the number on the scale has no bearing on your actual fitness.

Replies

• toniRAD
    toniRAD Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Exactly! I hate how everyone gets obsessed with how much they weigh. You might even gain some weight once you're in shape from muscle.
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    She probably also lost a pants size. Toning can do a lot for a person!
  • janacass
    janacass Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    love seeing this! :tongue:
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I am firm believer that body fat percentage is a much better thing to keep track of than weight.
  • lisapickering
    Options
    That's awesome! Thanks for posting. I always think it's strange when people complain that they've lost inches.... isn't that the whole point... nobody knows what the number on the scale is but they can see the inches!
  • jellybaby84
    jellybaby84 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I love how the 'before' picture is poorly lit and the woman is looking miserable then in the after picture it's bright, cheery and they've got her to smile.

Such a propganda photo!
  • jljohnson
    jljohnson Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I love how the 'before' picture is poorly lit and the woman is looking miserable then in the after picture it's bright, cheery and they've got her to smile.

Such a propganda photo!

True, but even so, isn't it pretty obvious that she lost a significant amount of fat and is in much better shape in the 'after' photo?
  • jfer1977
    jfer1977 Posts: 139
    Options
    That's why I changed my goals that I'm working towards to exclude a number on the scale. As you workout and tone up you build muscle. It's not pounds we are trying to lose it's fat.
    With that said, I still weigh myself once a week and would like to see the number go down a bit. Just to get into the healthy weight range. I'm still in the overweight range. But, I don't obsess over the scale anymore. I'm more interested in the fact that I'm down to the last notch in my belt for my dress pants and the fact that I'm now having to constantly pull up every pair of pants and shorts I put on that fit me last summer. To me that's the exciting part. I've already changed my goal weight in my head and I should probably do it on here as well. I told my husband the other day it's going to be more about how my body looks rather than the number on the scale.

Although, I don't necessarily agree with the last part of the article......

"Edit: One little point I left out of this post is that Deb totaled up her calories just for fun a few weeks ago. She came up with an average of slightly over 3900 per day. Take that calorie restriction diets!"

I for one don't "diet". For me it's about being healthy. If you are burning really high amounts then yes you need to be consuming really high amounts. But if Deb wasn't burning really high amounts and consumed 3900 calories then she would look like her before picture still. That is just how it is. Calories in and calories out are really important numbers when being healthy.

Thank you for posting this link.
  • jellybaby84
    jellybaby84 Posts: 583 Member
    Options

Such a propganda photo!

True, but even so, isn't it pretty obvious that she lost a significant amount of fat and is in much better shape in the 'after' photo?

Oh yes, definitely, don't dispute that at all.
    I just find it funny how websites or wherever this came from can't let facts stand for themselves but have to exaggerate the bad and enhance the good to a point where it looks ridiculous.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options

Such a propganda photo!

Oh yes, definitely, don't dispute that at all.
    I just find it funny how websites or wherever this came from can't let facts stand for themselves but have to exaggerate the bad and enhance the good to a point where it looks ridiculous.

Or maybe she was just a lot happier after toned up...
  • stefraab
    stefraab Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    wow - that's incredible!
  • dwardkaiser
    Options
    THIS IS GREAT!

Thank you for sharing!!!! :)
  • GreatSetOfBrains
    GreatSetOfBrains Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    thanks for sharing
  • shannonkk
    shannonkk Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    that is also how the right fitting clothes can make you look. If I get a bigger size and style, it looks like I have lost 20 lbs, but if I get that smaller size that I can squeeze into, I will have a muffin top and look heavier.