Rice cakes

Options
Hello,I'm a vegetarian,and when I'm not feeling too peckish for a big meal,instead,i will have 2 rice cakes with phillidelphia light,,cucumber and pickles..I adore it

Replies

• MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    You're not getting much nutrition though.
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    ugh, I hate those rice cakes. Eat a sandwich!
  • femme_fatal29
    femme_fatal29 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    True,I do eat plenty of veg & protein through the day though..just wondering if they were labelled as " healthy " and are secretly not
  • kelseyframe91
    kelseyframe91 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Lol, I have this too. Great alternative as I can't eat bread. I like a bit if ham on mine aswell.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    True,I do eat plenty of veg & protein through the day though..just wondering if they were labelled as " healthy " and are secretly not

They don't provide a whole lot of nutrition beyond carbohydrates, but as long as they aren't crowding out anything else you need they aren't going to harm you.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

"Healthy" is very subjective. Instead, I kind of look at the big picture. How does this fit into your overall macros....protein, fat & carbs. Are you meeting protein and fat goals (especially)? Fiber is another thing I look for (Americans get too little).

• femme_fatal29
    Options
    I can't eat bread either,i eat rice cakes often,love the kallo buckwheat superseed ones,just worried they're not too good for me
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    They're low calorie, and I think they're pretty tasty. And they're a good vehicle when I want something crunchy and lower in cals than crackers or chips. I don't see a problem with them. They have a few carbs and a little sodium and like 35 calories. If you like them, I'd say they work out pretty well.
    Salsa and avocado on rice cakes is a pretty sweet snack, IMO.
  • femme_fatal29
    Options
    Ooh,sounds lovely! Will give that a try
  • zugunruhey
    zugunruhey Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    As long as your diet isn't mostly rice cakes it's not a problem. Every single thing you eat doesn't have to be perfectly balanced in terms of nutrition, if your macros are (mostly) balanced you're fine.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Rice cakes make great packing material. (I also like them with tuna salad on them.)
  • femme_fatal29
    Options
    Thank you all for your input
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    I heat them up long enough to melt the cheese I put on them. :smile:
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I love rice cakes to the point of craving them sometimes. I eat them with soft cheese and smoked salmon. Nom! I love the crunchy texture.
    Oh and with hummus too.
  • lauraesh0384
    lauraesh0384 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I love rice cakes when I want something to curb a craving for something crunchy and low calorie. I don't buy them very often but the caramel and white cheddar flavors are delicious.
  • lseed87
    lseed87 Posts: 1,110 Member
    Options
    Yup, I like mine with peanut butter too ^
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    I used to love rice cakes with butter. LOTS of butter. I no longer buy them.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Rice cakes make great packing material. (I also like them with tuna salad on them.)

I was just thinking about pica and eating upholstery :s
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    You're not getting much nutrition though.

if you want more complex carbs, you just eat more than one rice cake. as long as they're not sweetened, they're very easy to figure out if you know just how many carbs you need. i like lightly salted rice cakes - they have 7 grams of complex carbs per rice cake, so when i want more carbs, i'll have more than one. when i feel like something with some crunch, i'll have one with a slice of light sharp cheddar or swiss. sometimes i add a little mustard. yum!

btw, as a person with T2 diabetes, being able to add a small amount of carbs can avoid crashes, so rice cakes are very handy for that.