Lifting

Options
aurii
aurii Posts: 2 Member
edited May 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
Background

I was 240 lbs (5'0") lost 80 pounds doing at home dvd workouts and walking and riding my bike. However, after losing that 80 pounds my body stopped progressing. I've been at 160 give or take 5 lbs since 2012. This was with continued exercise and mostly clean eating.

In an attempt to change this, I'm deciding to take up lifting. However, I've never really been in a gym and have a lot of anxiety about it all. My plan is to join a gym this summer and get a personal trainer to teach me to lift. For the basics, how easy is it to pick up lifting? I'm trying to get an idea of how many training sessions I may need to get comfortable going into the gym myself and working out.

I've purchased starting strength and have been reading through. I've also been checking out a lot of lifting blogs/fitblrs/instagrams/videos.

And advice for someone that want to get into lifting?

Replies

• aurii
    aurii Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Then I discovered the true meaning of fitness - gaining strength, gaining confidence from being able to beat previous PR's week-to-week, eating food in moderation and overall enjoying life. Now let me tell you, when I started lifting,

Thanks for your encouragement

I've actually wanted to start lifting in 2012 but didn't want to "slow down" my weight loss. Which is pretty ironic since I haven't lost any since hahaha
  • adremark
    adremark Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Check out:
    http://stronglifts.com/5x5/

I've used this program (3x a week), and it really does increase your strength. The idea is that you start out with low weight, but keep on adding each time you exercise. In a few months you are moving impressive amounts of weight, and you'll feel stronger, too!
  • dxlee7
    dxlee7 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I started out the same way you are right now. I watched videos, read forums, fitness magazines and just went from there. Stepping foot in the gym and grabbing the bar or Dumbbells is pretty intimidating the first time because you're worried about everyone else. Don't be. They're in there for the same reason you are. To get into shape. Take the first step, get in there. People are more willing to help than you think. Just avoid the people that talk more than they lift
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    The basics of powerlifting (at the least the "big 4" -- squat, deadlift, overhead press, and bench press) are relatively easy to do sorta-kinda OK, but there are a number of subtle refinements to work on as you progress to higher weights. I'd get some instruction in the basic moves, and then regularly film yourself to catch bad habits before they get ingrained. You've already got an excellent reference in your hands -- although I spent my first year of lifting doing Stronglifts, I did most of my form analysis using the Starting Strength diagrams. I'd recommend getting a 4' length of 1" PVC pipe (or even a broom handle), and practicing your form before you ever hit the gym. This is especially useful if you're not particularly flexible -- I probably spent my first couple of months getting flexible enough to squat with good form (but then again, I'm old as crap).
  • MalcolmX1983
    MalcolmX1983 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I was in similar shoes about nine-months ago. I went to the gym on a regular basis, but thought "fitness" revolved around eating 1,000 calories per day and running until I was exhausted. Then I discovered the true meaning of fitness - gaining strength, gaining confidence from being able to beat previous PR's week-to-week, eating food in moderation and overall enjoying life. Now let me tell you, when I started lifting, I was intimidated as hell to step foot in the weight room. I started with the machines for a few weeks and then decided that I was going to make more progress elsewhere. Me, a little scrawny chick who had no idea what to do with 5-lb. dumbbells, started lifting. Little by little, I picked up more knowledge. I watched tutorials and read articles religiously. I asked other "fit gurus" at the gym for help with my form, random tips, etc. I found out that when lifting you can eat more...and you actually have more success when eating more (eat WAY more protein...1 gram x 1 lb. of body weight and WAY LESS sugar...under 40 grams x day). Hint: timing is important in this as well. The more you step foot in the weight room, the less anxious you will become. I started off being embarrassed to pick up a 5-lb. weight, thought people were judging, and then I realized the more I went that they were in the zone, just like I was. Focus on you. Remember the only person you have competition with is yourself. Up your weights, listen to your body, feed your muscles. Now, I walk in like I own the weight room, grab those 15-lb., 20-lb. and 30-lb. dumbbells and get to work. You will get there. Stay dedicated and you will persevere.

Certified boss.

• STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Weight lifting is a piece of cake. The tough part is proper technique. You can go with a lot of weight and improper form and won't get the results you want plus you may hurt yourself. On the other hand you might go with a lighter weight more reps using the proper form and you'll get faster and better results.

I used to lift in the gym but I didn't like the results I got. Couple years ago I started with the Tony Horton Beachbody videos and I definitely like the results I've been getting from those he has a whole different philosophy. Remember the only person you're competing against is yourself don't judge yourself based on the others.
    I still keep my gym membership though for the swimming pool and some of the cardio equipment in the winter
  • chagee76
    chagee76 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Some great websites for programs is www.body building.com and awesome tutorial videos on various types of lifting exercises. Also, www.aworkoutroutine.com is another website. The facilitator will answers questions via email. Hope this helps :)