Early Morning Jog w/Toddler?

Options
Pre-baby I would jog/run in the morning at 5. I have a commute and work full time so my time spent at home during weekdays is limited and that time is used for cooking/meal time, bath time, and prepping for the following day.

Since I can't jog when I get home in the afternoon I was thinking of taking my toddler for an early morning run with me. The time would be 5 AM and she already wakes up between 5:45-7 AM on weekdays anyway. Indoor workouts are limited as I would wake her in the morning

Would it be terrible if I woke her up at 5 for the jog? She could always go back to sleep in the stroller but I'm reluctant to disrupt her. Everything I can find on the internet is for getting toddlers to stay asleep and I don't have that problem. haha.

Thanks!

Replies

• hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    As long as you're willing to adjust her nap and bedtimes, it probably wouldn't be an issue once she adjusted. Just realize once she gets adapted to that routine, she'll be getting up at 5AM every day (weekends included). Better be OK with that...
  • LifeInTheBikeLane
    LifeInTheBikeLane Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    My sister and brother in law wake up around 5am to begin getting ready for work. My sister will often times wake up my nephew (17 months old) and take him for a walk before she gets him ready for preschool and she gets ready for work. He usually stays asleep but sometimes, if he fell asleep early, he wakes up and is in a great mood because being outside ALWAYS makes him happy! Even if it is early!

• meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    It depends.
    Can she add to her nap time during the day?
    Is there someone else that could watch her as you run? like her dad?
    Do you want to be locked in to her waking at this time everyday-not just days you run?
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    I don't think its terrible at all. I would adjust her bedtime at night though. If your waking her up an hour early for jogs then I would put her down an hour earlier at night to insure she is getting enough sleep.
    Try it for a couple weeks and then reaccess the situation. After a couple weeks If she is handling it well then go for it and make it her permanent wake up time. If she's suddenly more irritated then normal or more sleepy then normal, then I would let her go back to whatever time she used to wake up at.
    Small kids can adapt well to change if you guide them properly just stay mindful and make sure this isn't negatively impacting her in a couple weeks.
  • Valdeezie
    Valdeezie Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! Thanks for the replies. My 18 month old doesn't nap at all during the day and sleeps solid throughout the night for the most part. I'm an early riser 7 days a week so her waking up early on her own wouldn't phase me. My husband begins work much earlier than I do so he isn't available to watch her. Perhaps I put her to sleep at night a bit earlier to adjust her schedule?
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Valdeezie wrote: »
    Hi everyone! Thanks for the replies. My 18 month old doesn't nap at all during the day and sleeps solid throughout the night for the most part. I'm an early riser 7 days a week so her waking up early on her own wouldn't phase me. My husband begins work much earlier than I do so he isn't available to watch her. Perhaps I put her to sleep at night a bit earlier to adjust her schedule?

That's exactly what I would do. Put her to bed one hour early now that she will be waking up a bit earlier
  • Valdeezie
    Valdeezie Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thanks, all. Sounds like I have a lot less guilt AND a plan. : )
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a great way for you to spend some time together and I'm sure she'll adjust quickly. Just PLEASE make use you're running somewhere well-lit and safe. It's still dark that time of morning. Although you'll probably be much more visible with a stroller... especially if you stick on some flashers and reflectors :)