Jumping rope

Options
Is jumping rope as effective as walking/running? Just purchased one so that I can exercise while my little one plays outside :) Her feet are way too little to keep up while I walk or run.

Replies

• filovirus76
    filovirus76 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Jumping rope burns more calories per minute than both walking/running. I jump rope for ten minutes twice a week. I run 5-6 miles between 7.5-8.0 min per mile four times a week. Jump rope is definitely more challenging. If I pushed it I could probably jump rope 20 mins straight. It would be tough.
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    It's just as effective! I find it harder than running. It's great cardio and easy to build into circuits with body weight exercises.
  • mrs_cjack
    mrs_cjack Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Sounds great!! Going to give it a shot today, thank you!!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Yes, more effective per minute. But I can run and walk a LOT longer than I can jump rope. It's great exercise, though. Have fun.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    if i could jump rope i would, its awesome exercise. sadly my joints can't handle it anymore
  • ralostaz2000
    ralostaz2000 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Jumping rope burns more calories per minute than both walking/running. I jump rope for ten minutes twice a week. I run 5-6 miles between 7.5-8.0 min per mile four times a week. Jump rope is definitely more challenging. If I pushed it I could probably jump rope 20 mins straight. It would be tough.

Awwww...how much time did it take u to achieve skipping for 20 minutes straight? That is more than 200 calories burn...

I am doing 20 minutes but doing HIIT ..30 sec jumping and 15 sec rest. ..

And I do 135 jumps per min.
  • Talifarrald
    Talifarrald Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym about five times a week and jumping rope is the first thing I do when I walk in.I do the eleptical and treadmill, but jumping rope is my main cardio. It really burns more calories at a much faster rate.
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Yes, more effective per minute. But I can run and walk a LOT longer than I can jump rope. It's great exercise, though. Have fun.

And with any exercise, start slow! I used jump for a total of 5 or ten minutes, then one day I kept going (with breaks) for 25 minutes. I think I broke a small toe. It still hurts to jump rope and that was 4 years ago. But it was super fun!
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    I hope you enjoy roping!

But, have you considered a bike for your daughter? Or a stroller? I get in 3-4 walks a week with the twins I nanny for. Options include a little red wagon for fun or a double wide for jogging. They can't keep up on foot but bringing them along is key for me exercising. I'm away from home a total of 11.5 hrs a day and like my sleep so I fit it in at work with the kids most days! I have lots of strategies for workouts with tots.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,711 Member
    Options
    Go for it! It's a killer workout. Don't over do it right away, though. Too easy to get injured if so.

I foolishly thought I could jump rope at home to supplement my lifting. Hahaha... NO. It looks deceptively easy. I struggled with it a few times and then gave up. Don't be like me.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    I enjoy jumping rope to add cardio to a circuit. I used to just straight jump rope and got to 10 minutes with no mistakes or breaks. It took me a while to get there. No I usually jump for a minute, rest for 10 seconds X5 or more. Sometimes it can be part of a workout where I do 100 jumps. I worked on double unders for a while and decided to retire from those....I walked out of the gym with lashes on my arms and legs and I never got much better. :)
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Jumping rope is awesome!
    See how long you can jump for and then increase the minutes every time.
    Make sure to stretch the calve muscles afterwards!
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    Make sure to stretch the calve muscles afterwards!

Great advice!