How Do You Make Your Oats Taste Better?

Options
RichardD83
RichardD83 Posts: 17 Member
On and off I've been having oats for breakfast. I find it hard to be consistent with them because they don't taste good. It takes 20 minutes to eat 40 grams. Oats don't taste bad, but they don't taste good either.

Is there anything to improve their taste?

Replies

• MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Add fruit such as blueberries? I buy frozen b/c they are cheaper.
    Make them with milk instead of water?
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    I boiled them on water with diced apple and a cinnamon stick; I use the non instant oatmeal.
    Once achieving boiling point I simmer with Almond Milk.
    I serve it with Cinnamon Powder, Chia seeds and fresh fruit of the season as toppings
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I make coach's oatmeal with a packet of Splenda, raisins, cinnamon, and unsweetened almond milk. Tastes good to me.
  • MalcolmX1983
    MalcolmX1983 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Cinnamon powder
    Protein powder
    Fruits

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal has no magic. Eat bread with the same amount of calories and a similar amount of protein.
  • acheben
    acheben Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I cook them in unsweetened chocolate almond milk and add peanut butter or pb2 and sliced bananas.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I mix in a scoop of choc peanut butter protein powder. Make them with milk, not water!
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I get a trail mix that has nuts and unsweetened dried fruit like raisins and cranberries. I add a tablespoon or two of that, a sprinkle of cinnamon, and the tiniest dash of brown sugar or honey.

But if you reallllly hate oatmeal, I'd just find something else that you do like.
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    CaffeinatedConfectionist Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    Yeah, if you don't like them, don't eat them. You can find other foods with similar macros. I really enjoy oats, but I also don't eat them plain. I don't even eat them as regular, eat-with-a-spoon oatmeal. I make them into baked oatmeal (often with protein powder) or oat and fruit pancakes. Or cookies >:)
  • hurleycutie142
    hurleycutie142 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I make my oats the same way everyday... I like them with caramel extract a punch of splenda and cinnamon... no extra calores added besides my almond milk... delicious... sometimes ill do chocolate extract and chocolate protein powder... the extracts are amazing... they cost 2 bucks at walmart by the spices and baking stuff
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Don't eat them. I don't waste calories on food I don't like. There's too many other foods in this world - nothing magic about oats.
  • ElJefeChief
    ElJefeChief Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I throw in a little vanilla, drizzle in some Walden Farms no-calorie syrup, maybe a teaspoon of brown sugar. Maybe a few slices of bananas.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    My hates and loves around food are more to do with texture. I love the creamy consistency of oats. If you really don't like them, why not eat Cheerios or eggs?
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I have my oats in the form of a Kind bar for lunch.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    I normally add a half cup milk for the last ten minutes then add in a banana and 2 oz of Strawberries and blueberries. Add a tablespoon of heavy cream and or 10 grams of honey.

To spice, or for more protein. Cook with a tablespoon of soy sauce and a squirt or more of Sirachi. Fry an egg and add a handful of cashews.
  • a_candler
    a_candler Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    With brown sugar :) raspberries are great in it too
  • ScreeField
    ScreeField Posts: 180 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Blend them in a smoothie

or

Get at minimum, regular old fashioned "traditional" oats (not instant or quick--yuck), cook on the stove with almond, hemp, or oat milk (I use a blend) and throw in some nuts (walnuts or almonds) and fresh or frozen blueberries, apple cubes, whatever fruit or nuts you like. Don't cook them for the entire amount of time listed on the package instructions--that's too long and they become mush. Cooking them in regular milk tastes awful. Water doesn't have any body.

But, I like oats. And, I don't eat stuff I don't like.
  • aspenfarrell
    aspenfarrell Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Add a teaspoon of vanilla extract, honey or maple syrup for an extra bit of healthy flavor.
    Or throw in a small amount of cocoa powder, jelly, etc - a small amount of something like that helps a lot!
  • jaidenhales156
    jaidenhales156 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Stevia drops I use chocolate, you can probably buy them at your nearest nutrition store.
  • loopylou2014
    loopylou2014 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Not sure if you get them in the US, but I love quakers oats so simple golden syrup microwave sachets (not the tubs, they are large portions and too many calories). I eat that and use milk from my daily allowance on days I know I won't be at the computer drinking coffee all day. Fills me up for a long time, is sweet and creamy which is what I crave sometimes when dieting and v easy to prepare.