Low cal sushi

Options
Hey guys I have been on MFP for 8wks and I have lost 11.2 lbs.. But, it is really hard. I am proud of what I have accomplished and I normally do all right. But, tomorrow I am meeting friend at a sushi bar. I need a low cal roll. Please any suggestions are welcomed.
Thanks

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Sashimi
  • Soy_K
    Soy_K Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I make sushi at home without the rice. They will probably think you're nuts if you try to order it though hee hee! You could try sashimi (high protein/low carb) but not necessarily low calorie. Hamachi is my favorite with jalapeno slices and yuzu ponzu. Otherwise just try to avoid the rolls that have fried stuff in them (tempura rolls, etc) and the ones drenched in sweet sauce (eel roll) and the ones that have stuff mixed with mayo (some California rolls do this). You could try the veggie maki just with cucumber and avocado?
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Hm. Sashimi is always a healthy choice. It has rice but unless you're avoiding carbs that's not a big deal, or you could just eat the fish part. If the sushi bar has a website I'd check to see if they have any nutritional info. It's hard to tell with a lot of the less traditional rolls that might have mayo, sauces, etc. The place I usually go to has certain rolls that are wrapped in thin cucumber instead of rice but I'm not sure if that's common. If you can pair the sushi with miso soup and/or salad that can also help limit the cals coming from the sushi too, especially if you would prefer to indulge a little on less traditional rolls.
  • SinomenJen
    SinomenJen Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Have you tried looking at sushi under the food database? When I am going for sushi or out to eat, I type in general ideas, find the closest I can get and go from there. Planning ahead is your BFF.

You might also see if they have nutritional information on line for where you are going, if not find some general ideas, log them and stick to plan!
  • fernnose
    fernnose Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    WOW!!! Thanks for all the suggestions.
  • Guns_N_Buns
    Guns_N_Buns Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    hand rolls or nigiri