The success no one thinks about...

Options
LucyMcd1
LucyMcd1 Posts: 84 Member
This isn't some amazing discussion about how I lost 100 pounds or anything like that. I'm warning you now - if you came here for that, I'm very sorry. No, this is a story about what I think I've done successfully.

I have successfully kept with my weight loss goals for over a month (started April 11th of 2016) and I have lost (although slowly) almost 10 pounds (going from 261.2 to 253.4 - but my lowest was last week at 252.8).

Yes, this is definitely not what people would assume is a "success story". I haven't done much to the naked eye. But I think I have been successful because, for me, I have never gotten this far. I always have big talk, saying I will lose weight and that I will become 150 pounds or whatever I always say, but I never ever do it.

This time, I set a goal. I said "Luc, you can get yourself to 250. Maybe even by the end of the school year. You can do it, I know it," and I did my best. And, about a month and two weeks later, I have almost done it.

I know it's not a lot, but sometimes you need to hear about the little successes when you are first starting out. :)

Good luck to everyone, old or young, new or experienced. I know you can do it!

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Awesome!
  • emz_1993
    emz_1993 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    That's great! Well done! Everything counts and it's great that you have got over that hump
  • AllSUMLIFE
    AllSUMLIFE Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Great job! One of the hardest things in my opinion is to change the way we think about things! Success isn't always defined by the scale.

For me, one of my biggest successes was no longer seeing myself in negative terms (like fat, gross, bloated) and instead having my internal dialogue focused on how strong, confident & in-control I feel by staying consistent and (eventually) seeing slow, but positive outward results.
  • mmjclark04
    mmjclark04 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way! I'm setting small goals. Yes...I have an ultimate goal in mind but right now my goal is to get to 209. I started at 233 and today weighed in at 212.6...20 POUNDS! The mini goals keep me going because otherwise I get discouraged. One pound at a time...over and over again! That is success!
  • pkoll
    pkoll Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    You are successful! In 2-3 more months, you may be 30# down. Anything down is better than where you started.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    You are getting through this day easier than you did the first 2 weeks. All the rest will be easy too. They get easier. Exercise gets easier and you do more. Selecting good and nutritious food becomes easier and you don't want the added-sugar foods or the big industrial highly processed food products. I'm a fan of big industry. Don't get me wrong. But, I don't want chips and coke. I didn't want soft drinks for years past, but Big Brother Frito Bandito knows how to gain stomach share and he's mofo to fight.
  • lisaisso
    lisaisso Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    The great thing about this, is we all can relate to that 'just starting out' feeling.
  • ptsmiles
    ptsmiles Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Smaller goals are easier to swallow. I find it very rewarding to have mini goals to try and reach on my way to my larger goals. I feel like I'm actually accomplishing something and it doesn't seem so daunting. Way to go!
  • cbrunenkant
    cbrunenkant Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Way to go! The beginning is always hardest for me, I have started a few times without following through. This time I've made the launch and it's getting easier! A friend told me that losing weight is like a space shuttle taking off - it takes the most force and energy to get off the ground and start flying.

Good luck on the rest of your journey and your new lifestyle!
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    I think you have accomplished a lot, think about it 10 pounds is more than what most of started out weighing, my babies were both 7lbs 14 oz. For each and every fraction of pound that I loss I could come up with some visual of what weighs about that much. Butter was always a easy one, think about 10 pounds of butter - no matter where you start, that is a lot of fat (good fat IMO).

Small goals are the way go for some of us, when you need a break from focusing on weight, pick an activity to work on getting better at, I always hated getting on the floor to workout, got pass that, I even went through a push-up phase. The point is to learn ways to be and stay active and ways to trick/motivate our eating habits, these should be long term changes and don't need to be big major changes . . . cause we know they add up.

Best wishes on the future.
  • JoeCWV
    JoeCWV Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Quite frankly it is a big deal. You succeeded. More importantly you are continuing forward. I've been on maintenance for a few years and lost 70 pounds before that. Still every day I see little victories. Today for example I walked up a hill with some rough terrain. I really did not think about it at the time.

A little while later I got to thinking about it. Before I lost the weight I would have been winded and no doubt sweating with the exertion. Yes today was a victory. Please always enjoy your small victories. The add up to big ones.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Lots of little successes add up to a huge end result!
  • BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    Just like it was a success story when my pants fell down in public, this IS a success story.

This is absolutely a success. Congratulations on what you've accomplished so far and good luck on your remaining goals!
  • meryl135
    meryl135 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    This is truly success! You've got a change in mindset and attitude that will definitely take you to your goals. Keep it up :smiley:
  • FrankieandSpots
    FrankieandSpots Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I love this :smile:
    Good job!
  • Dove0804
    Dove0804 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Awesome and congratulations!!! This is where it starts!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!