Maintenance calories

Options
WeaTheRgrlx0x
WeaTheRgrlx0x Posts: 48 Member
edited May 2016 in Goal: Maintaining Weight
How do I figure out how many calories I should take in now that I've hit my goal weight? Myfitnesspal says 1700, where I've been eating 1200 calories up to now? I've heard of tdee and bmr, so many different calculations! What is the most reliable way to estimate how many calories I should now take in? I appreciate it, thank you! :) Have a great day everybody! I hope I've added this to the right section!

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Work it out from your recent weight loss history - that way any food or exercise logging inaccuracy is automatically compensated for.

Simple way is how fast were you losing in the last month eating at 1200 cals?
    One pound a week would mean that roughly 1700 cals may be your maintenance.

If you like maths add up all your food intake for the last four weeks, add 3500 for every pound lost then divide the total by 28.
  • WeaTheRgrlx0x
    Options
    I think I'll do the math. Different websites have given me different numbers, and I don't know which to believe. Thanks sijomial for all your help! Have a great day!
  • kirstenb13
    kirstenb13 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Or if you are using a trend weight app (I use libra or but Happyscale will probably too[?]), it will tell you your average daily calorie deficit based on your weight loss, so you just add that back in. But it's the same calculation as above.
  • WeaTheRgrlx0x
    Options
    Thank you so much for your input, Kirsten! I'll look into that! I appreciate it!:)
  • ronsperber
    ronsperber Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    A difference of 500 calories a day corresponds to a weight loss goal of 1lb/week. It is scary looking, but just about right.
  • veggiecanner
    veggiecanner Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    The first week I added 200 calories a day , then 100 a day for 1 more week. kept it up till I go to the point where I weighed the same for 2-3 weeks then stay with that. I was able to maintaine for 2 monthes. I went from 1100- 1800 calories. This is with biking 5 miles a day for 5 days a week. During that time I weighed daily.
  • WeaTheRgrlx0x
    Options
    Thank you ronsperber and veggiecanner! I appreciate you taking the time to answer and help! Have a great day!