Nearly 900 calories over

Options
I have gone nearly 900 calories over. What is your advice? Will this harm my loss for the week?

Replies

• akweich89
    akweich89 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm really not an expert lol but maybe over the course of the remainder of the week, try to shave 100-200 calories off of your intake each day to make up for the 900 surplus. That's what I would do but I'm sure there are other ways to counter it. Good luck!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    How many pounds per week are you setup to loose? .5, 1, 1.5, 2? Remember that your maintenance calories is what you need to go over to be harmful, otherwise you just dipped into the deficit a bit and weight loss can be slower this week.

edited to add: recommendations, do nothing. Just log it and move on, it is now said and done. Trying to make up for it just seems redundant like trying to out exercise this or eat less calories the next 4 days or anything like that.
  • bellabonbons
    bellabonbons Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    900 over isn't surprising. If you were just beginning MFP or you have been used to eating a lot of food. It's going to be some time before you can adjust to the lower calories. Good luck.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    UncaToddly wrote: »
    I have gone way over that and not died LOL. Last week I made it down to 302 on Thursday. But we had a bake sale at work and I couldn't resist a caramel bar (it was SO worth it) and to celebrate the end of some training we had pizza and I ate more than the couple pieces I should have.... So it was no shock that on Friday I had bounced back up and the scale showed 304.

Friday I was feeling cheaty after helping eat the bake sale leftovers and the wife and I went to Sizzler and a nice steak and plenty from the salad and desert bar.... not only was I WAY over my carb allotment (insulin resistant) but I was probably well over my 2160 for the day even after the 3.5 mile walk back to my car (she often drives and then leaves me places to walk home or back to my car at work.... it is incentive to keep walking LOL). No shock that Saturday morning I was back to 306 and basically gained everything I had lost through the week.

After letting my feet rest Saturday but being reasonable with my food, I got back after it Sunday. Monday morning the scale read 304. I am eating reasonable again and getting back on my walking. I expect to be back to 302 by the end of the work week with no harm done.

So sure, maybe one or two days of gluttony and lack of willpower slowed me down in the long run but it didn't kill me. :) The same should be true for you. :) Blow it off, move on, and I hope you enjoyed that from which the extra calories came. I would hate to think you ate an extra 900 calories of .... kale. :)

This is a funny story. I forgot that I ate 3000 calories Saturday (yes 3000) which is 1600 calories over my maintenance calories. I gained some water weight, it is back down now.

900 calories of kale...funny! :):)
  • heart4sole
    heart4sole Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I feel that if you watch your calories the rest of the week and exercise, you should be fine. : )
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    My daily plan is to have quite a chunk less food than mfp recommends. One day I binged and felt all 'woe is me' about it. I logged everything. Then I noticed that I was still below my mfp recommended number.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,716 Member
    Options
    As long as you don't do this very often, you'll be fine. (If you're losing 1 pound a week, it's less than 2 days delay in reaching your ultimate goal). Just log it, then forget about it, and get back on your healthy weight-loss path.
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Well it won't help, but it's not the end of the world either. Do better tomorrow, onward and upward.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is never going to be a perfect linear event week after week.
    And life throws all kinds of stuff at us too.

Personally, I don't think there is any point in losing sleep over a day where you've eaten more than you planned.
    In the big picture view, your individual days don't matter, it's the accumulation of all of them together.

Of course, this doesn't mean that NO days matter, just that if you eat more cals on one day... well, that's done and over, work on a better day tomorrow.

And as for whether that will make a difference this week -no idea. It's going to depend on your overall calorie intake for the week plus a bunch of other stuff that is harder to control (hormones, monthly cycle, injuries etc).
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    I was in New Orleans all week and went over by anywhere from 300 to 1200 calories every day. Don't sweat it. Just get back on plan and go forward.
  • gabrielleelliott90
    gabrielleelliott90 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Today is a new day so I'm going to stay within calories. I am only in my first week and only set myself a pound to lose each week.
  • nessamelda
    nessamelda Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I had a nice Indian take out and a glass of wine this evening. It's hard to estimate exactly how over I am, but I guess around 700 calories over for the day -I weighed the rice and naan, and mainly had grilled tandoori meat and seafood, but still well over with the booze. (And much fuller than I would expect to be... A month of cutting down eating has clearly shrunk my stomach a bit)

I logged it, trying to be generous with my estimates. Looking at the week I am still a few calories below the net goal, working on a seven day average (I only eat back half the Fitbit calories). So I am not going to throw in the towel and give up, just carry on. I will try to eat at maintenance tomorrow as it's my birthday and then after that shave off a few calories each day so the weekly average stays where I want it to be.
  • Bluepegasus
    Bluepegasus Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I had my sister to stay at the weekend and as a result I went over by 1600 just on Saturday! It's not the end of the world, I just accept I'm not going to loose anything this week and just get back to it.
  • narak_lol
    narak_lol Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I was at least 2500 over yesterday - it was my birthday so we went for a buffet to celebrate - not binging just eat whatever I fancy and did not care about portion size haha. This was planned and I did some extra workout the day before to "bank some calories". Today I just get back to counting calories :)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    UncaToddly wrote: »
    ... I hope you enjoyed that from which the extra calories came. I would hate to think you ate an extra 900 calories of .... kale. :)

I know you're making a joke but can't help myself from pushing back on the kale haters. :p I grow kale and yesterday had it in my breakfast smoothie, lunch salad, and afternoon snack. Young kale straight from the garden is nice and tender and not tough like the stuff in the supermarket that's been chopped up and sitting in bags.
  • louisepaul16
    louisepaul16 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Don't worry. It's a long haul, you went over?? So what? Draw a line under it and move on. We all have days that it goes a bit wrong.
    Less than 2 weeks after I started (this time!) I was working a tonne and thought I deserved a dominos, so ordered 2 small pizzas, and four (yes....FOUR!) starters and ate the lot (apart from less than half of
    One pizza). All in all my day came in at well over 4000 calories. I then had a Burger King the next day and a McDonald's after that.
    You know what? I didn't dwell on it, I had to reel myself back in and remind myself why I was doing this and off I went again. And the best part? I lost 2.2lbs the week of the dominos episode, and 5lbs the week after even including the BK and McDonalds. :open_mouth: don't
    Feel guilty just remind yourself why you're on this journey and be kind to yourself.

It takes a long time to
    Change bad habits! Be kind to yourself.