Exercise equipment at home?

Options
My kids are going to be out of school very soon for summer, therefore I won't be able to hit the gym as often. Any recommendations for at home equipment that doesn't take up a lot of space? Bonus if I could fold it up and put it away. I would love an elliptical or something like that but it wouldn't fit in my space. Thanks!

Replies

• Oisin_Smith123
    Oisin_Smith123 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    One if those chin up machines
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    Look up the M5, it's an elliptical style machine made by bowflex. It's a lot shorter than any other machine I've ever seen, it's perfect in my apartment.
  • armydreamers
    armydreamers Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Thanks brb, I'll look into that! I also just discovered portable ellipticals. Has anyone tried one of those? They take up such little space!
  • LifeInTheBikeLane
    LifeInTheBikeLane Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I have a treadmill that folds up flat and can be put against a wall/closet. It will be coming in hand because the house we are purchasing is in the middle of NO WHERE and our gym is in the next town over!

My sister has a portable elliptical!
  • Katwin2013
    Katwin2013 Posts: 23 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I use a Minnie trampoline nothing burns calories like that Jumping up and down and boy do you feel it in your core plus the kids will like playing on it too jumping jumping jumping :)
  • Secerbus
    Secerbus Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    How about some bodyweight exercises as well? There's a subreddit dedicated to it! /r/bodyweightfitness
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    Take the family biking. Take the family hiking. Everybody go swim at a pool. Play family soccer.
  • scottburger104
    scottburger104 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I use kettlebells at home in my office. they don't take much space to store and I only need enough space to drop a yoga mat to keep my sweat off the carpet.
  • cecsav1
    cecsav1 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Suspension straps!
  • JJordon
    JJordon Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    Ironmaster adjustable dumbbells. Worth the price. Quality goods.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Second for kettlebells. Have them watch some videos about the whole body workouts they can get using these. I started using one 15lb kettlebell last week. All I did was swing it between my feet while doing 100 squats of as much as I could. I think I was been able to do 40 consecutive, but that got me completely winded. All day long I was feeling the awakened muscles all over my torso which were telling me they'd been used. I have decided that I will practice and learn more uses of the kettlebell.
  • teamsnoop
    teamsnoop Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    try indoor rowing. This machine http://amzn.to/1OTvPHg is very compact you can fold it and keep it away. you can even keep it under your bed. And it works really great!
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    I like the Power Block adjustable Dumb Bells. They come in several groupings. check them on Amazon or their web site.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    If you want indoor aerobics that is both cheap and doesn't take much (permanent) space, then get a bike trainer. There are a few different types (rim vs wheel attachment, and I think there are magnetic vs oil/impeller resistance) to choose from, but in general they fold up really tiny and the bike can go back in the garage (or whevere you store it).

After that, for resistance training you can either just do bodyweight exercises (no equipment needed), or you could go with a suspension training system like TRX.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Suspension trainer, kettlebells, pull up bar
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Skipping rope and some kettle bells. There are also heaps of effective body weight exercises you can do. 12 minute athlete (google it) has a whole section on equipment free/minimal home workouts.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    kettlebells and bikes
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    Thanks brb, I'll look into that! I also just discovered portable ellipticals. Has anyone tried one of those? They take up such little space!

I looked into them and worried about longevity. They just don't seem as sturdy or strong.
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    YouTube has a limitless supply of free videos streaming. Maybe you can find a workout the kids would enjoy doing with you and make it a family activity.
  • neela1880
    neela1880 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Dumbells are the best equipment to have at home