Treadmill pain

Options
I have a BMI of 39 at 5ft 2inches and 218 pounds 3 months ago I was 273 pounds though, so I'm doing awsome. But when I desided to change from the eliptical to the treadmill Thursday I thought I was making an awsome improvement. I completed 3.5 miles in 43 minutes and then did the 30 minute circuit at planet fitness then later when I got home I started feeling it. The terrible pain in my right hip. I'm only 21 I thought this can't be hip pain I'm just sore so then Friday I completed 4.5 miles in 1 hour on the treadmill. I wanted to do abbs after but the pain was so bad I could hardly walk. I came home took a hot bath and it seemed to help kinda but I still hurt. I thought Sunday I felt good enough to pick up the running agian but I was wrong after only 5 minutes I could feel the pain creeping back up so I stopped. Why does the treadmill cause the pain? How can I stop it, and still get my mile time under 8 minutes? How long should I weight for the pain to leave before running agian

Replies

• dropitlikeasquat87
    dropitlikeasquat87 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Might be a hip flexor strain? I've had that before, it sucks. I pulled mine on the treadmill too, I was running. I'd find some other form of cardio to do until the pain stops. If you push through the pain it might get worse and you could be out of the gym even longer.
  • zoepipa
    zoepipa Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I also have pains in my knees when I run on the treadmill-- and Im a frequent runner. It sounds like it might be soreness in the legs though as well, make sure you are doing enough hip flexor stretches (looking up yoga for runners/post yoga running can help). Also, if you want to be able to run more, I suggest finding sturdy shoes and taking your runs outside-the impact isn't as harsh :smile:
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Are you stretching after you run?

Rest it until it doesn't hurt and then build up your mileage slowly.
  • mizz1825
    mizz1825 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Be sure to build core strength. I went through some serious hip pain episodes, saw an orthopedist, and that's what it came down to. I've recovered now, so don't give up, but be sure to get your core strength training in.