How Do You Make Your Oats Taste Better?

Replies

• Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Life's too short to waste it on eating foods you don't really like. I've found that with eating to lose weight I'm very selective about my food choices. I like oats, but they're not a daily thing for me, maybe once or twice a month with some type of fruit either fresh or dried, like golden raisins, cranberries or blueberries with just a touch of raw sugar and a little milk.
  • dropitlikeasquat87
    dropitlikeasquat87 Posts: 53 Member
    Almond milk, unsweetened applesauce, cinnamon and stevia. Sugar free syrup is good in there too.
  • Madelinec117
    Madelinec117 Posts: 210 Member
    I cook the old fashion oats in the microwave with almond milk and a banana. By cooking the banana with the oatmeal, it's warm and you can easily stir it into the oatmeal.
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    I don't eat my oatmeal sweet. Boil with wat4er and a bit of salt; then, I put some grated cheese on to top or crumble up bacon or sausage in it. A spoon of peanut butter in them is good, too
  • OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    I make mine savory and spicy. I add cinnamon, cayenne, cumin, turmeric, garlic, and ginger. Sometimes I add chopped apples, sliced bananas, frozen cherries, and/or PB2.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2016
    I like them with berries. I often add vanilla protein powder too, for the protein. (Agree about not eating them if you don't like them. I enjoy them as an occasional no work breakfast -- make them in my rice cooker -- but normally prefer eggs.)
  • hokiemom14
    hokiemom14 Posts: 105 Member
    I used to eat oatmeal all the time and would make it and then add unsweetened vanilla almond milk, cinnamon, little honey and a few raisins.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    crzyone wrote: »
    I don't eat my oatmeal sweet. Boil with wat4er and a bit of salt; then, I put some grated cheese on to top or crumble up bacon or sausage in it. A spoon of peanut butter in them is good, too

Yes. Salt.

• bellabonbons
    bellabonbons Posts: 705 Member
    Love oats!!! Try adding some organic brown sugar, or some maple syrup, fresh berries, I add a dash of cinnamon and I always use cashew milk or almond milk.
  • CNG223
    CNG223 Posts: 127 Member
    I add strawberries and honey to mine :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    If you don't like it, why do you eat it?

I cook mine in milk, and I typically add stuff on it - protein powder, nuts, nut butter. I need over 100 calories of toppings to make it edible, pretty much. But I need some fat and/or protein added or it doesn't fill me up at all.
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Oatmeal has no magic. Eat bread with the same amount of calories and a similar amount of protein.

Whole grains vs refined grains though. It definitely doesn't do the same to me. Bread will spike my blood sugar, steel cut oats don't (but quick oats will too).
  • indiacaitlin
    indiacaitlin Posts: 691 Member
    I love oats!

I usually have a scoop of protein powder in them (using chocolate orange or maple syrup pancake flavour at the moment), and then I add some nut butter (I've tried loads but using snickerdoodle almond butter right now). I also pop a chocolate in there if I have the calories for the day and I've got some 0 calorie butterscotch sauce too I occasionally throw on there :smile:

Aside from that there's fruit, honey, nuts and seeds work well too!
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    I use a packet of Better Stevia and Pb2 in mine for added flavor.
  • alittlelife14
    alittlelife14 Posts: 339 Member
    Almond milk, frozen berries, SF maple syrup, SF chocolate syrup.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    There's no reason you have to eat oats.
  • nixxthirteen
    nixxthirteen Posts: 280 Member
    My boyfriend is the king of oatmeal. He makes the most delicious sweet and savoury kinds.

1.) He toasts the oats in unrefined coconut oil until they get fragrant. This makes a HUGE difference, because they retain their shape and fluffy texture during the boiling process.

2.) If making sweet oats, he boils them in water mixed with cinnamon, vanilla extract, and sometimes brown sugar. We make a bibimbap-inspired oatmeal for dinner, and he boils those oats in water with soy sauce and sriracha.

3.) Toss in fresh blueberries right at the end, and they get so hot and plump and tender. Then finish with a drizzle of real maple syrup. (We also love apricots, raspberries, or caramelized banana on top :).)

Dinner oats = diced avocado, crunchy spicy seaweed, and a fried egg on top. INSANELY delicious.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    I found my key to oatmeal was to not over cook it. I do not like mush, I like it kind for chewy. I add less water than it says and only cook for about a minute. Enough to absorb the small amount of water but eat oat keeps its shape and nothing gets mushy!
  • jbee27
    jbee27 Posts: 356 Member
    In the winter, I make a batch of steel cut oats on Sunday nights (make sure to add salt to the water), portion them out for each day. Each morning I add 1/3 cup of almond milk, cinnamon and dried cranberries. Once I get to work, I heat it up in the microwave.

I really enjoy them and they are easy and cheap, but if you don't enjoy eating the oats, find something else!
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    I don't even like oatmeal much, but my mom brought this over for Easter brunch several years ago, and it was delicious.
    Baked Oatmeal with Blueberries and Bananas
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Full Fat cream, brown sugar, cinnoman and cook some apples in with the oats. Also, enough salt to make it taste right.
    Its pretty awful unsalted yo?