Recovery

Options
Hey,
So I worked out with weights hard and have been insanely sore for days now. Like grimacing when walking up the stairs.....I have tried stretching , hydrating, and even Aleve (pain medication). Any thoughts of how else to recover quickly? And how to prevent this much pain again?

Replies

• AllSUMLIFE
    AllSUMLIFE Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Definitely recommend getting protein shortly after lifting and drinking LOTS of water. Also, if you don't have one, a foam roller is seriously great at speeding recovery. :smiley:
  • Anaris2014
    Anaris2014 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I had this problem in the days after my first weights session a few weeks ago. Protein and plenty of water seemed to be the best remedy. After that first session I've taken to eating a protein bar (from the local health food shop) shortly after training (based on advice from person much fitter and healthier than myself) and it seems to have done the job.
  • vilenski193
    vilenski193 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Thanks I will have to try that! This painful walking is so not fun
  • Anaris2014
    Anaris2014 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    As long as you keep with it. Also, don't push yourself too hard. Not just because of the risks, but also because if you stop having fun it'll be harder to keep going!
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Alternate heat for 15 mins with cold for 15 mins on the really sore areas for a day or so. Cut back a little on what you're doing and advance more slowly. You shouldn't be in that much pain; your body is telling you to slow down. Also, as Anaris2014 said, if you make yourself too sore you will become discouraged and stop altogether.
  • KiyaK
    KiyaK Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Alternate heat for 15 mins with cold for 15 mins on the really sore areas for a day or so. Cut back a little on what you're doing and advance more slowly. You shouldn't be in that much pain; your body is telling you to slow down. Also, as Anaris2014 said, if you make yourself too sore you will become discouraged and stop altogether.

This.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Hey,
    So I worked out with weights hard and have been insanely sore for days now. Like grimacing when walking up the stairs.....I have tried stretching , hydrating, and even Aleve (pain medication). Any thoughts of how else to recover quickly? And how to prevent this much pain again?

Work out more often. DOMS is annoying at times but this tapers off as you get used to the exercise.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    Hey,

Work out more often. DOMS is annoying at times but this tapers off as you get used to the exercise.

Agreed.

In the mean time, go for a walk or hike or bike ride or something. Using the muscles often helps them recover faster.