Need help losing bf %!!!!!!

Options
Hi fit fam! I am really aiming to lose 15-20% body fat. I am 5'5" 174 lbs with 35% body fat. I am just really stuck on how to lower my body fat! I currently run at least 3 days a week and also lift 3 days a week. Any input would be lovely. Thanks!!!!!

Replies

• JuliaH728
    JuliaH728 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Run more! Running is the best way I've found to lower body fat. Try adding interval training or speed workouts on a track. Also add a long run on the weekends
  • joncooper1980
    joncooper1980 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Running works because it burns calories and increases your calorie deficit. Running wont reduce your body fat if you aren't in a deficit.

There are two ways to reduce your overall BF%. Lose fat via a calorie deficit. Or build muscle via a calorie surplus.

Pick which one suits you and go with it. I personally think that lifting weights whilst in a calorie deficit is a good option for body re-composition. Decreasing your BF whilst maintaining your muscle mass is a tried and tested method.
  • VividVegan
    VividVegan Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I lost over half of my body fat from resistance training including weight lifting. I agree with the others that running is also good but building muscle through resistance workouts increases TDEE by a long shot since muscle burns calories at rest. I leaned out from resistance training.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Lol. I read OP title as, "Need help losing boyfriend."

• fatfudgery
    fatfudgery Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Have you tried eating less?
  • hbahad
    hbahad Posts: 1 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I am a qualified PT and I would suggest a slow workout in the week. By slow I mean walking to burn fat rather than running as you want to be in the fat burning zone. Or you can try yoga. At fast pace running you are burning calories but it doesn't necessarily mean you will burn lots of fat. And keep weight training as muscle does help keep fat levels down. Mix it up and you should do quite well.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    hbahad wrote: »
    I am a qualified PT and I would suggest a slow workout in the week. By slow I mean walking to burn fat rather than running as you want to be in the fat burning zone. Or you can try yoga. At fast pace running you are burning calories but it doesn't necessarily mean you will burn lots of fat. And keep weight training as muscle does help keep fat levels down. Mix it up and you should do quite well.

From your advice, I would doubt your credibility as a trainer! The only way to reduce your bodyfat percentage, is by being in a caloric deficit. This can be achieved by reducing caloric intake or increasing activity, or a combination of both. No magic tricks, no "fat burning zone".
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options

I really hope you're lying or new to the world of personal training because you're dishing out advice that is not only horrible, but completely inaccurate. If you have any clients right now, I feel bad for them because they are paying you for a service and you're most likely making them take all sorts of incorrect actions in the name of weight loss. On the bright side at least you didn't mention starvation mode.

Want to lose body fat? Eat at a calorie deficit. Keep going with the exercise as well since that's great for your physique. There is no targeting, no magic exercise that burns more fat, and no pills/shakes/fat burning foods either. Good luck on your journey, OP.
  • MalcolmX1983
    MalcolmX1983 Posts: 214 Member
    Options

image.png