Cardio, then weights

Options
Does it matter which order you complete them? I've heard that you should do weights and then cardio. But I prefer the other way.

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Which is your priority?
    Are you doing either at a sufficient intensity that it compromises what you do second?

Personally I prefer to do them in separate sessions or separate days but for the majority of people it's just down to preference.
  • broseidonkingofbrocean
    broseidonkingofbrocean Posts: 180 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    It doesn't matter really. The main point of doing weight work then cardio is due to weight lifting being more taxing, so to optimize strength training you would do that first just to not have a "tired" workout. Also I could see it preventing injury from improper form due to exhaustion. Think it also plays a role in fat burning optimization when you do cardio post workout but im not sure if I read that from a scientific study or broscience stuff. But like I said it doesn't really matter do whatever works for you.

Somewhat curious whats your cardio before the workout?
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Agree with the previous posters. However, IIRC, the OP hasn't been lifting very long. Your preference may change once you're lifting a bit heavier...
  • chipdogwa
    chipdogwa Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    The point of doing Cardio after weights is to work the lactic acid out of your muscles. If muscle soreness isn't really an issue for you, do what you like.
  • dropitlikeasquat87
    dropitlikeasquat87 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Personally, I lift weights before cardio. I'd much rather put my energy into lifting than cardio. If you do cardio before, your muscles might be too tired and your form may be off when lifting. But it's a personal preference really, if you can maintain proper form in weight training after cardio then go for it.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    chipdogwa wrote: »
    The point of doing Cardio after weights is to work the lactic acid out of your muscles. If muscle soreness isn't really an issue for you, do what you like.

Beg to differ. DOMS has nothing to do with lactic acid buildup in the muscles - that's very dated information.
  • Bluepegasus
    Bluepegasus Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I normally do running and kettlebells on different days, but one day last week I did a 4 mile run before my kettlebell class. I had a really good run but I had no energy to lift properly after and felt very tired and shaky. In the past I have run after doing kettlebells which was fine, so on that basis, weights first then cardio, but still preferable do them on different days altogether.
  • RosieRose7673
    RosieRose7673 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    It's definitely personal preference. I do a lot of cardio. Sometimes I do cardio early in the day and lifting later in the day. Other times, if I only have time for one workout in the day, I'll do a 1 mile run warmup before lifting.

Off days from lifting are when I do longer runs. There's absolutely no way I could go all out on both cardio and lifting in one session. I'd likely keel over and pass out.
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    If I can, I like to separate them into different sessions in the day. If I can't separate them, I prefer to do cardio second because, in my experience, if I'm fatigued to the point my form slips, cardio is a lot more forgiving than weights.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    I prefer weights to cardio, so I'll do my weights first...that way if I run out of time in the gym, I just skip the cardio.
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    I'll do cardio right before weights if it isn't a leg day, usually about 40 minutes of cardio followed by 45-60 minutes of lifting moderately heavy weights. Never had an issue with being too tired before my lifting routine but I do use a pre-workout that gets me pretty pumped up. I need it because I go to the gym at 5 A.M. during the weekdays. On leg days, I skip cardio until the next day to work the soreness out of my legs and butt.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Leg day I usually do cardio after (15 to 20-minutes), upper day I do it before to get it out of the way (30 to 45-minutes)
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    I prefer weights to cardio, so I'll do my weights first...that way if I run out of time in the gym, I just skip the cardio.

Exactly my mind set
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Warm up

Weights

Cardio

Stretch

That's what i do.

This. If I do cardio first, I won't have gas to lift as hard as I need to be to reach my goals.
  • canary_girl
    canary_girl Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I tend to do cardio first, but that's because I take a 5:15 am spin class. I get more sleep if I lift after. Sleep always wins.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I prefer weights before cardio, as I want to get stronger and I find I have the most energy at the beginning of my workout.
  • DVall30
    DVall30 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I prefer light cardio after weights. It helps loosen me up
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    chipdogwa wrote: »

this is not true at all!
  • sweets1973
    sweets1973 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I've changed it my routine from last week started doing my weights first then my 30 mins of cardio and maybe 10 mins of abs if I have time lol