Tracking Macros

Options
Has anyone lost weight tracking the macros that MFP gives you? And how many ppl use the macros that iifym gives you and lost weight? Which one is the better option?

Replies

• cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    The people that consumed less calories than they used lost weight.

Those that consumed more calories than they used gained weight.
  • cecsav1
    cecsav1 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Iifym is definitely better than MFP's calculations. You are going to get all kinds of people telling you it's all about calories in, calories out, and macros don't matter. They may or not, but if YOU choose to track macros (I do, mostly. Lol), I'd go with iifym. Just ignore the responses that totally disregard your question and tell you to do it their way. There's definitely no harm in tracking macros, and you are only going to succeed if you tailor your program to yourself. Good luck! :)
  • BFitNation
    BFitNation Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Girl you couldn't of said it any better :) and your totally right :smile: your awesome haha.
  • VividVegan
    VividVegan Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I adjusted mine to 40/40/20 (high carb, high protein, low fat). I didn't agree with the macros MFP originally gave me. I generally don't eat that much fat. I operate better on carbs. Have lost around 70 pounds and leaned out so it worked pretty well. Sometimes it takes trial and error to figure out what macros work best for you. But remember to stay under your calorie goal.
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    Yes! IIFYM/flexible dieting for the win. MFP macro suggestions really stink and under-shoot protein by a lot. The higher protein is quite helpful to keep you fuller and protect your muscle mass as you reduce your body fat.

Here's what I do:
    Protein: 0.8-1.2 g/lb of body weight
    Fat: ~20-25% of calories
    Carbs: the rest of your calories
  • Sarah_Shapes_Up
    Sarah_Shapes_Up Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Counting macros is counting calories. There's 4 cal/1g carb/protein and 9cal/1g fat. It's actually more accurate because food labels are allowed to round the calorie count. Macros all the way! Start with IIFYM recommendations and tweek from there for what makes you feel best/perform best/what you enjoy eating more. As long as your consistent and energy expenditure is higher than energy consumed, you should lose weight!
  • BFitNation
    Options
    That's what I've been doing :) been taking what iifym says then tweek it if I have to :smile:I thought I would get other options :)
    Counting macros is counting calories. There's 4 cal/1g carb/protein and 9cal/1g fat. It's actually more accurate because food labels are allowed to round the calorie count. Macros all the way! Start with IIFYM recommendations and tweek from there for what makes you feel best/perform best/what you enjoy eating more. As long as your consistent and energy expenditure is higher than energy consumed, you should lose weight!

• BFitNation
    Options
    Wish that was the case for me I have to have at least 57 to 60 fats which sucks because it's hard for me to eat lower fast specially since I don't get paid weekly or enough to to go grocery shopping 1 a week to get low fat things so other then that I try my best to stay no more then 60G of Fat :smile: and always stay a little under my calorie goals as well
    FeedMeFish wrote: »
    I adjusted mine to 40/40/20 (high carb, high protein, low fat). I didn't agree with the macros MFP originally gave me. I generally don't eat that much fat. I operate better on carbs. Have lost around 70 pounds and leaned out so it worked pretty well. Sometimes it takes trial and error to figure out what macros work best for you. But remember to stay under your calorie goal.