To buy or not to buy.. a scale.

Options
So.. hubby knows I'm on this diet, trying to lose a few pounds... he's glad for me, proud of the stuff I'm eating. But, he will NOT let me buy a scale yet. His rationality is, "When we start to see results, we'll know. If you get on a scale once a week to see what you are losing, you'll stress over it and not lose as much."

I do see his point...but I want to KNOW I'm losing it!!! Losing a pound or 2 isn't going to be visible, but I'd like to kno that the way I'm eating and things I'm doing are helping me make progress.

What do you guys think??

Replies

• Dskwon
    Dskwon Posts: 17
    Options
    Buy a scale. Weigh yourself once a week and enjoy the motivational benefits that progress brings.

Your husband is wrong.
  • pnieuw
    pnieuw Posts: 473
    Options
    Buy a scale. Weigh yourself once a week and enjoy the motivational benefits that progress brings.

Your husband is wrong.

I second that. I weigh myself every Saturday morning. Seeing the weight disappear is my motivation for the next week.
  • Fattack
    Fattack Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Wait.. what? He won't LET you? Provided its not his money and you can afford it, you're more than entitled to buy yourself a scale!
  • brendalyne
    brendalyne Posts: 497
    Options
    I am now friends with Mr. Scale. I weigh myself daily, but record my weight weekly. That works for me, because I don't get stressed out about seeing the daily fluctuations. I think if you want a scale you should get a scale. Try weighing yourself just once a week if daily fluctuations frustrate you. And if you can't stay off of it, you can always have your husband hide it from you until your official "weigh in" day! :happy:
  • bradrockell
    Options
    Yeah, weigh yourself once a week - just avoid weighing yourself every day, which can be depressing!

It's definitely better to have evidence that you're losing weight, sometimes 'just feeling it' doesn't give you a clear idea of your progress.
  • olag00
    olag00 Posts: 222
    Options
    Buy a scale with body fat % calculated. This will help when the weight doesnt change but the body fat % goes down!
  • lallaloolly
    lallaloolly Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    i agree, buy a scale, weigh once a week.
  • GreatSetOfBrains
    GreatSetOfBrains Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I agree with your husband, but I wouldn't listen to him. lol My husband tells me daily I look great. He buys the food I eat and all, but its not like he doesn't try to sneak me oreos. I think we do weight ourselves too much. I think if you eat right and work out, it will help without weighing yourself. . . so I think he's right somewhat. My advice, let him win, don't buy a scale. Sneak to a friends house Hee hee Guess I'm alone on this one. .
  • Dskwon
    Options
  • CaptainMFP
    CaptainMFP Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Here, here to buying the scale. My wife has great success with once a week weigh ins...I weigh in daily to monitor my progress and have developed a mathematical formula for my body that pretty accurately predicts daily ups and downs based on my diet. In our house we'd go nuts if we didn't have the scale to keep us honest and follow our progress.
  • thisisme33
    Options
    I agree. Buy a scale. Just don't get on it too much. I have a bad habit of weighing myself daily.
  • sassenachtiff
    Options
    I agree with the others--weigh yourself but only once a week. It's nice to see the numbers going down--validates all the hard work that you're doing. It also helps to measure yourself so that you can see the inches you've lost.
  • Tcnorman
    Tcnorman Posts: 16
    Options
    If you take weight loss seriously, you need to have a way to measure your progress. Buy a scale.
  • McKnightAM
    McKnightAM Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Buy the scale, you need to be able to see what you are doing is working or not. If you gain at your weeks weigh in you know you need to modify or figure out whats going wrong.

(Do try to avoid weighing everday, it can be depressing since our weight fluctuates)
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    get the scale .............
  • Nick0sm0m
    Nick0sm0m Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    allow me to rephrase. I do whatever I want - me saying he won't let me wasn't the right way to put it. He's not ENCOURAGING the fact. lol.
  • Dskwon
    Options
    Wait.. what? He won't LET you? Provided its not his money and you can afford it, you're more than entitled to buy yourself a scale!

Have you heard of Harriet Harman? She'd agree with you on that one.
  • ncgingerich
    ncgingerich Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I just bought a Taylor Glass Electronic Scale on Amazon.com and it was less than $25 and also closely matches my doctor's office scale. You don't have to spend a ton of money to get a decent scale so perhaps this will help you justify it to your husband. I weigh two or three times a week and LOVE to see the increments of progress I am making. I think it is vital to your success to have some visible proof that the weight is coming off. It will show soon enough with your clothes but it does help in the meantime to know that number is decreasing as well! Good luck convincing him.
  • tararocks
    tararocks Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I was never a scale fan, I did not see the need for them, to me it was just a number. I knew when i had gained weight and more weight and more weight when my clothes didn't fit, I didn't need a scale to tell me that. Fast forward to now, i purchased a scale a few months ago when my husband and I began this journey. I love my scale. Now i sometimes have a love/hate relationship with my scale, sometimes my scale plays games with my head, sometimes I'm convinced my scale is jsut down-right lying to me, but all in all I love it. You know what else? My scale MOTIVATES me, when the number is creeping up, it motivates me to watch more closely what I am eating, or to add an extra workout or more water-these are all because of the number I saw on the scale. When the number goes down that motivates me to, it means I've made progress, what I am doing is paying off and is worth continuing. Get the scale-you'll feel better!
  • msmandyjo
    msmandyjo Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Buy the scale, or he could help you measure your loss in other ways. Looking in the mirror, you won't notice anything, you might not even notice the diffrence yourself in your clothes. But, if you take measurements and take pictures to compare every week, then you'll see those sliding and changing. But, really, if you're just looking in the mirror just waiting to see results, it's not likely to happen. You have nothing concrete to compare to, just yesterday's image in your mind. And then, you won't see the results, and that's when you'll lose motivation. At least, I know I would (and have in the past)