Defuse, Desist

Options
Just curious,

Generally: What are some ways you head off cravings throughout the day?
Specifically: What if you were stuck in an office that's fully stocked on tasty garbage you know you shouldn't eat?

Replies

• cymills
    cymills Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    ..alwas have something in your hand when around the "tasty garbage"...like a glass of water!
  • ajfranzen77
    ajfranzen77 Posts: 118
    Options
    100 calorie snacks and fresh fruit. Those work for me, also flavored water.
  • Texas501
    Texas501 Posts: 274
    Options
    I would put a pic of the person you want to look like as your screen saver. Then when you get those cravings, look at that pic and ask yourself "is this cookie/candy bar/pudding worth more than looking like so and so?" You will be classically conditioning yourself to think of that when those thoughts/cravings enter your mind. Just a thought.
  • ywolfie
    ywolfie Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Don't I know it!!

I bring my own stuff with me to work everyday. Fill your desk with good for you snacks. I have carrots and cuccumbers in the office fridge that I snack on throughout the day and some Kashi cereal bars in my desk if I get a sweet tooth. That way, when one of your co-workers bring a cake or donuts, you have healthy choices at your finger tips. It'll save you money, inches, and after binging guilt.
  • Sandikh
    Sandikh Posts: 116
    Options
    I also keep a few 'healthy' non-perishable snacks in my desk. Individual bags of Almonds, light granola bars, etc
  • alliebe
    alliebe Posts: 21
    Options
    I love the kudos m&m 100 calorie bars, it feels like I am eating a candy bar. Gum also can do wonders to starve off a craving for sugar. I use essential oil in my water, no calories, or artificial sweeteners and gives you something to taste. I use lemon or a metabolic blend called slim and sassy. Ice is a good thing if you want something crunchy and refreshing. Fruit is yummy too and so is a high protein greek yogurt. Even a scoop of peanut butter on a spoon can do wonders and has lots of protein.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Best way is to make sure you have decent food available throughout the day. If you're hungry and there's nothing but junk around, you'll eat junk. If you're hungry and you have good healthy food, then you'll eat the good healthy food.
  • CaptainMFP
    CaptainMFP Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    (1) Water, water and more water!

(2) Bring alternatives with you. I'm a college professor and keep a jar of candies on my desk for students or other visitors. (Talk about temptation!) But I rarely touch myself because I keep myself full of other stuff (e.g. nuts, veggies, water).

(3) Don't let serious cravings get out of control. My experience says that the best way to handle cravings is to indulge them in a controlled setting (i.e. not that office packed with garbage). I've had a couple of candy bars this week at home...I've logged them...and I've continued to lose.

Hope this helps!
  • erikblock
    erikblock Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Just curious: Is the title to this thread a reference to the Sepultura song "Refuse/Resist"?

:)

-E
  • Eats_With_A_Fist
    Options
    Good suggestions so far...especially the water thing. I'm drowning myself. The problem with keeping healthy snacks at my desk is that until I can condition myself to stop eating after a certain point, I will just eat them all..then they become neither healthy, nor are they there later. Vegetables in the fridge could work though.

Texas- I have a hard enough time explaining away my man crush on Matthew McConaughey as it is...the last thing I need is to make him my wall paper! (Seriously though I may try a variation of this idea...good suggestion bro!)

Erik- Good catch! Yeah I'm punny like that and Sepultura is awesome motivation music when I actually get to go lift.
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Good suggestions so far...especially the water thing. I'm drowning myself. The problem with keeping healthy snacks at my desk is that until I can condition myself to stop eating after a certain point, I will just eat them all..then they become neither healthy, nor are they there later. Vegetables in the fridge could work though.

Texas- I have a hard enough time explaining away my man crush on Matthew McConaughey as it is...the last thing I need is to make him my wall paper! (Seriously though I may try a variation of this idea...good suggestion bro!)

Erik- Good catch! Yeah I'm punny like that and Sepultura is awesome motivation music when I actually get to go lift.

Set times for when you are gonna have a snack. Bring in some healthy grain bars, fruits, or veggies and have one snack at each set time.

And the drinking thing is good stuff.
  • shanolap
    shanolap Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    I drink a cup of strong black coffee. It works for me every time!
  • brewingaz
    brewingaz Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    Just curious: Is the title to this thread a reference to the Sepultura song "Refuse/Resist"?

:)

-E

I was wondering the same! Now that's stuck in my head
  • Texas501
    Texas501 Posts: 274
    Options

Hilarious! Good luck brochacho!