Spin class anyone?

Options
Has anyone ever been to a spin class? What is like and do you truly feel the burn???

Replies

• graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    Ahem *clears throat and hops up on her spin bike* :-D Spinning ROCKS! I hopped on the saddle over two years ago at 186 pounds. It changed my life. You sometimes have to go through a couple of instructors to find who's style/music you like, but it is a hard, intense, FUN workout. The hour flies by. In 45 minutes you will burn around 4-500 calories. 60 minute class between 500-700. The most bang for your buck calorie wise. Buy a cheap gel seat to save your butt while it gets used to it, and get on it! :-) I'm now an instructor. I teach spin 5 times a week. Let me know how you like it!!
  • jiggs31
    jiggs31 Posts: 117
    Options
    Yes please!!! :)

I love my spinning classes and I am currently missing them like mad as my physio has stopped me from doing them until my back is better.

My first class felt like hell but from recent experience, he was a very tough instructor. Hell but I felt sooooo much better afterwards.

I now try to go three times a week and I was loving it and it was making such a difference before my accident.

Try it out - you'll get hooked!!
  • suzieqdiva
    suzieqdiva Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Took spinning classes several years ago & yes it is an amazing full body workout & if done 3+ times a week is enough to contribute towards toning & loosing weight. It is both an aerobic & resistance training workout & if you fall in love with it.. is all you need. So go for it & give it a good try & see how you like it:)
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I started a spin class in April I was really nervous to try it because it looked really hard and everyone there looked really in shape. I finally built up the courage to try and it was the hardest cardio I have done in a long time. It really challenged me to push past what I thought I could do. The instructor would yell out target RPMs (revolutions per minute) and I started off well below them, but I kept moving. Now, I love it! It is still a hard class, because as I get stronger, I push myself more. I have a heart rate monitor and I burn between 450-500 calories in a 55min class.

Give it a try, I think you will like it!
  • christanemeth
    Options
    I've been several times in the past and have recently started getting back into it. I went this past Saturday morning and I love it. It really works you out cardiowise while also toning your legs and you feel how hard you're working immediately. The hour usually goes by fast because you're too busy trying to keep up with the instructor and listening to the music is fun. I'd highly recommend spin class to everyone. Hope this helps :)
  • thetrishwarp
    thetrishwarp Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I loved it when I did it - as soon as I'm back at school in Sept I'll be back to regular spin classes. You DO feel the burn - I've taken to bringing a towel cause I break such a sweat..
  • myukniewicz
    myukniewicz Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I actually took my first class last week and i LOVED IT. I am definatly going to the class again this week!
    It is so intense, and by the end you are dripping sweat. I really think it is a fantastic workout.
    you don't just sit there and peddle- you have an instructor telling you to up your resistance, or lower it... peddle faster, peddle slower... stand up, or hover over your seat... all the while jammin' out to music :)

ps: your butt will hurt after the first class though from seating on a bike seat for an hour lol- but i've been told that you get use to it fast.
  • bemoore81
    bemoore81 Posts: 18
    Options
    i started spin a month ago and love it . Be sure to get a gel cushion seat cover makes it alot easier on our female parts if you know what I mean :) You can get them at Wal Mart range in price fro 10 to 25 I got the 10 and it is just fine and fits any bike seat Give it a try , I am 59 and hanging in there LOL
  • spinurbuttoff
    Options
    Over the last two months spinning has become my passion! I LOVE it! It's a BLAST!!!!
  • LuvsToSpin
    LuvsToSpin Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I LOVE SPINNING!!! I started taking classes 6 weeks ago and was scared to death that I wouldn't be able to do it! Now it is pretty much the only form of cardio that I do! I lift weights 3 times a week and take 5 spin classes a week. So far, every instructor I have had at my Y has been great. I love that they each have their own style and are so encouraging.

Make sure that for your first class, you have an instructor show you how to set up your bike. Also, remember, at your first class you may not be able to do all of the lifts and work at the higher gears/intensity as those in class that have been spinning a while....just don't stop pedaling! Keep those legs pumping!

Over the past 6 weeks I have dropped 5 pounds and several inches and this 49 yr old woman is getting the legs I used to own back in my 20's back! I'm actually sitting here at the office watching the clock because I can't wait to get to tonights class!
  • sclosson
    sclosson Posts: 120
    Options
    I had not exercized in years, but I started a spin class in February at 238 lbs. My original goal was just to pedal the whole time. Wow, in about 4 classes, I could keep up most of the time. The key really is to find an instructor who you like and whose music you like. My gym has 3 different instructors and I really try to go to classes with just one specific teacher. Get on the bike and go!!!!
  • amymyres
    amymyres Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It is a GREAT workout. I also was a bit intimidated about trying it out. Once you actually get through it you feel a real accomplishment because it is HARD work! I encourage you to try it. Good Luck!
  • Bentrain
    Bentrain Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Becareful, spin is more addictive than crack. I started spin 5 years and 50 lbs ago. That lead to a bike that I would ride around the neighborhood, to a road bike and then to tri's. I now do spin in the winter and ride durning the summer. I will due 2,500 to 3,000 miles this year.

A good pair of bike short will go a long way to helping your lower area. also spin shoes will make a big difference in your work out.

Have fun and keep on spinning!!!
  • fittraier
    fittraier Posts: 138
    Options
    LOVE IT! I have taught spin for 15 years, and recently started teaching Les Mills RPM. I challenge those of you only doing "spinning" to try RPM, it will Kick your butt!
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Love it! Sadly my gym offers it 4x a week BUT only one of those times is appropriate for working people can attend, Saturday :(

I guess my gym tailors to students and a bunch of really fit 50-60 year olds from what I've seen.

Bring a towel, you will be soaked if you are doing it right!
  • brittanibee86
    brittanibee86 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your input!!! I tried it tonight and I was soaked and legs felt like jelly, but it was worth it! I loved it and will definitely be going back for more!
  • brittanibee86
    brittanibee86 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    :smile:
  • GaSpartan
    GaSpartan Posts: 5
    Options
    Yes they are awesome...highly recommend them, I was shocked at how much fun they are and how much calories I burn when I participate in them...i try to attend them twice a week as cross training to running
  • sophjakesmom
    Options

ps: your butt will hurt after the first class though from seating on a bike seat for an hour lol- but i've been told that you get use to it fast.

You do get over it pretty quickly. it does take a few weeks, though.
  • sophjakesmom
    Options
    Thank you all for your input!!! I tried it tonight and I was soaked and legs felt like jelly, but it was worth it! I loved it and will definitely be going back for more!

Good for you! :drinker: