Question For Walkers

Options
2»

Replies

• lseed87
    lseed87 Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    Most have bigger burns since they are bigger. Or do it for longer etc Varying speeds, walk, run, walk.. Maybe try some type of program?

5 miles walk around my neighborhood (huge round circle type thing)

The elliptical or stationary bike is also good.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,140 Member
    Options
    What kind of walking do you do to get those high calorie burns? I walk but am lucky to get 100 -200 and getting discouraged. I do have to be careful so I don't trigger my asthma. If you walk several miles do you do it all at once (ie:walk 5 miles all at once)?

I burn approx. 100 cal for a 30 minute walk (approx. 2.5 km) and 200 cal for a 60 minute walk (approx. 5 km).

I wish I could magically burn more, but I'm a realist and I know that's just not going to happen.

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,140 Member
    Options
    This seems to be pretty close ... maybe just slightly high, but not too bad. (For example, it's not telling me I burned 400+ calories for a mere 5 km (1 hour) walk)

http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/walking-calorie-burn-calculator.shtml

• Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Just in case no one has mentioned it, your calories burned for most exercises has to do with your current weight. If you weigh 110 lbs and walk for an hour at 3 mph, you burn about 215 calories, but if you do that same walk and weigh 310 lbs, you burn more like 615 calories. This is because it takes more energy to move the increased weight. If you weigh 110 lbs and would like to burn more calories on the same walk, wear a 40 lb backpack. The calories burned in mfp auto adjusts for this based on the weight you enter.

This bears repeating. Additionally I'd like to say, do your thing and stop comparing yourself and your burns to those of other people, if it makes you discouraged and discontent!
  • breeze_brat
    breeze_brat Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    thanks for all the replies, i guess i just think i'm doing something wrong when my burns are low and others are high for doing the same type of exercise. i have 20 lbs to lose to get to my goal then will see how i feel and may try and lose another 15 lbs , maybe thats why my burns are low
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    I walk to work 4 days a week (9km per day) plus whenever I can. In total I walk around 50km per week. These days that is approx 450cal per day (used to higher when I weighed more). When I started walking way back when I started with doing this just once a week. I slowly increased it and now I love long distance walking
    For really quite high burns I go for long day walks. Anywhere between 18 and 30 km on a day. But they do not occur often as they take time :-)
    I have allergies (not typical asthma) and walking has alleviated them quite a bit.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I burn a lot of calories walking because I'm fat, no special arrangements needed. I achieve even higher numbers with incline walking (500-700 an hour).