Diabetic weight loss with HIIT?

Options
Any diabetics successful in losing weight doing HIIT (high intensity interval training)? Newly diagnosed type 2 :( trying to get a head of it before my doc insists on medication. At least I now have an explaination of why it's been so hard to lose weight. I have an upright bike and elliptical and wanted to use those for HIIT after doing my usual 40 minutes of weight lifting (nothing crazy and not lifting every single day). Thoughts and advice welcome.

Replies

• meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    I did HIT before I was diagnosed type 2. Weight came off but I was WIPED after the sessions. Literally just ate supper and slept.

What is working for me now is walking most days. Just between 30-60 minutes. I'm walking faster and further.
    and combined with staying in my eating goals 34 lbs have left!

Good daily energy. Also I watch my carbs-I eat some but stay well under the allotted ones.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Why HIIT instead of normal cycling and elliptical?
  • Shua89
    Shua89 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Not with HIIT but I was diagnosed in February with an A1C of 8.2. I went completely low-carb and started walking between 8-10 miles a day - not all at once, just throughout the day.

I have now lost 35 pounds and my A1C is a 5.2.

With being diabetic it's so much more important to keep a low carb lifestyle as that is what will keep your sugar levels in check.